The right time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thakorr, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Thakorr macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. First time poster - long time reader.

Quick question for you. I have done a large amount of reading on the new unibody MBP's and I am wondering if now is the right time to buy?

I have a 24" aluminum iMac but I am in the market for a MBP. I am wondering if the new Glassbooks really have as many errors as reading this forum makes it seem or if that is a product of everyone in here being a poweruser who knows what to look for.

Just skimming the forum today I have seen threads about tilted keys, grill crud, FLICKERING SCREENS (Ugh.), Faulty GPU's.

I am a pretty new Mac user so I am not sure if this is something that every new laptop release goes through or if the unibodies seem to be worse in this regard. So what do you think? Is now a good time to pick one up?

(Side question - if I was to get one through a Best-Buy who would I contact should I get a MBP with a problem that warrants a replacement. Best-Buy or Apple?)

Thanks for reading this poorly typed and paced thread.

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

take everything you read on this forum with a pinch of salt
    the problems on these forums are the issues of a few vocal people, not the overall majority.
    the mbp is a safe purchase, especially since most of the software issues are being sorted out quickly.
    i would personally wait till about march or april next year for the rev 2 before buying a mbp.
    while the problems on here arnt very common, revision 1 macs do have more issues that revision 2's and so on

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

What's a Glassbook? :rolleyes:

4. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I just got mine last night and everything is perfect. I got mine at a local Apple store and they matched the macmall price ($1800).

I couldn't be any happier...

5. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I too subscribe to the theory that you're only vocal when there are problems. Don't get me wrong: it's really important that problems are identified, so if something systemic comes up we can pressure Apple. But I can't say there have been any blockbuster issues. I'm extremely satisfied with my MacBook Pro. If you need one, get one.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and indeed, to the world of Mac. The MBP is an excellent computer, and if you buy one I expect that you'll be very happy with it.

As has been pointed out, people write more readily about unfortunate experiences with their computers, than they do if they are perfectly content. For my part, I have had a MBP since last April and I'm very happy with it.

However, if you are not in a huge hurry, I'd go along with other posters and suggest that you wait until the the current glitches in the new model have been addressed, which should be early next year.

Cheers and good luck

7. Kleivonen macrumors member

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Wait, Apple price-matched MacMall? Were mail in rebates matched?

9. Thakorr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy responses guys! I think I will take the advice of waiting until maybe a couple revisions are made on Apple's side. I have decided to pick up an iPod Touch to tide me over until then.

I hear good things about Aurora Feint.

10. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, but there will always be people who tell you to wait for the next rev...which would mean you'll never actually purchase a computer. If you really would like a computer now then go ahead. If it's not urgent and you want to wait, go ahead and hold off til rev b. Even if you wait for b, there will be people who will say you should wait for c...

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Great time to buy. The computers just came out a month ago and they've pretty much ironed out most of the first production batch issues. I means sure there are still a few issues, but overall, the machine is in release candidate stage (first batch is beta)

The only way to get a replacement directly from Apple is if you buy it directly from them; they require a Apple store receipt for the exchange, so if you buy it at Best Buy, you won't have the Apple receipt.

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro. They have glass touchpads and screens.

12. voltare macrumors member

I had the same concerns as you before I bought mine. My new MBP has no issues.

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Why does Apple call the Macbook Pro by two different names? They call it GlassBook and Macbook Pro... or are those different machines?

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

The Glassbook is a special edition for hardcore Apple users only. You have to have used a Mac for over 10 years min and def cannot be a recent "switcher." Only available through personal invitation. If you *ask* Apple about it they will deny everything.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple has only one name for the MacBook Pro.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's called the MacBook Pro.

Some silly people on these forums decided that since parts of the computer is glass, they wanted to call it the GlassBook. Again just silly talk.

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

It's the thing that you hook your iTouch to when you sync it.

18. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Yeah... Glassbook is a stupid nickname for a great computer. It makes it sound fragile and easy to break. I hate when people come up with their own name for a product (unless it's really clever like unibody), it's like they are special and get to use a different name for the product than everyone else uses, even though it's confusing. Why don't they just call it Macbook Pro or unibody? Well, they think it makes them sound cool... when in reality it just makes them out to be an annoying fanboy who is part of the cult.

19. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

id wait after macworld which is in january.

id recommend to just buy the mbp directly from apple and buy apple care. dont buy warranty for mac from best buy not worth it.