The risk for iPhone users: They know too much

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 22, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Perhaps the strangest critique of the iPhone to date. A front-page story in the LA Times, no less!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-iphone22mar22,0,5548703.story

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Great article, when I get mine, I will be one of those irritating people :)

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

It's not that iPhone owners know so much, it's that they're so dumb they have to rely on something that can fit inside their pocket to look up information on.
    jk:D:rolleyes:

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh the irony (in Sig: iPod Touch 16GB)! ;)

And I agree, fantastic article.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I just read the article about 15 minutes ago and can't help but think that some of the "backlash" is envy.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The question to iPhone owners, is this irritation a real issue, or something this reporter invented for a story?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stuff like this happens all the time. I can recall using it three times in the hotel bar when questions came up.

Wheel of Fortune came on and someone said Vanna White looks great for 40. Someone said she was 50. I looked it up; she's 51.

Was talking to someone about the streets in our hometown being alphabetical. We got stumped on C and the maps app found it in seconds.

Waitress ordered 3 Red Headed Sluts from the bartender. None of us had ever heard of it. Whipped out the iPhone and found out it's a nasty concoction of Peach Schnapps, Jagermeister and cranberry juice.

A few of of us have iPhones at work and we are always looking up stuff during conversations. No one is bothered by it.

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

And what is wrong with that? They wouldn't be "irked" if the guy went to a Pay-Phone, dialed information, got the number to the bowling alley, and called, and asked for wait times and directions. They were only annoyed because he did it on an iPhone. I agree with Ugg their just Jealous!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That would be they're.

I looked it up on my iPhone. :p

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm i don't do this at all. The only time i've used my iPhone to look up info was when we were lost trying to find a restaurant and i used the map function to trace steps and find the place.

I don't do google/wikipedia searches during convo. Then again i avoid bringing my phone out unless i have to call/text/email so maybe thats why. Although i fear now that i've read the article i'll start doing it

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'll check out IMDB when we're watching a movie (at home) to find out who an actor is, what the director did before/after this one, stuff like that. Wifey expects it.

On the road, I use Maps a lot to find something other than the Applebee's next to the hotel, read news at the restaurant. Used it once to document damage to a rental car as well as the accident scene, and check my insurance online.

Price compare and stock check before driving all over town. Locate the nearest branch of my bank. Find the nearest military installation. Show pictures to clients & coworkers (I shoot company events on the side).

Do expenses & timesheets online. Check in for flights, change reservations, book cars & hotels on the run.

Oh, and annoy people with quickly gathered facts from the Web. I end up drinking alone a lot.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But you're never alone with an iPhone. ;)

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

And why should they be? As long as you're not being a douche about it, the iPhone really only helps you get the most accurate information as quickly as possible.

Some people just have to find a negative in everything. :rolleyes:

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

that's one stupid article...smartphones have been around for a while.....its about people not being mean, and has litttle to do with the iPhone itself.

15. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I do this all the time, its one of the best parts of the iPhone. When at Frys the other day I was looking at a ReadyNas drive and have been checking them out for awhile, I didn't go to frys for that so didn't check the latest price online. It looked like a good deal but before buying went to amazon on my iPhone and found it for $100 less. Thanks iPhone!!!!

16. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

My friends expect me to look up answers to things during conversations, and I don't have an iPhone.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If I am in the lounge watching telly I have the iPhone on the coffee table so that whomever can quickly search for what they feel like. It is used very regularly to get clarification of points made during conversation/programs on the telly, or even videos of an even through youtube.