The Risk of Jailbreaking or past experience?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chormadito, Sep 4, 2010.

1. chormadito macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I know that many of you guys have JB your phones. Well I'm REALLY eager to do it, but the risks of it hold me back big time. What are really the risk? I know about the warranty thing, but I want to understand the part where people say "its more open to being attacked". If you guys can please explain a little more detail about the dangerous of it.

I use my phone for emails a lot and I worry that JBing my phone will attract intruders?

Has anyone ever been through any trouble? I know its legal now, but there still are some apps out there that can be dangerous right?

Should I be worried or am I just paranoid? From 1 to 10, is there anything really to worry about? (10 being high risk)

I really would appreciate it if someone could take some time and explain it too me.

Thanks

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

How much research have you done on this subject.

Pop on over to thebigboss.org and on the left hand side click on the link Why Jailbreak.

By the time you read that you should have some advice

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're paranoid.
    If you dont install openSSH there's no way for someone to get into your phone and install, read or edit anything by you acessing their wifi.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

First point, jailbreaking was never illegal. Apple tried to claim it violated their copyright, the copyright office decided it didn't.

No, it doesn't open you up to attacks per say. If you put like openSSH on your phone and don't change your password you open yourself up for attack. This is easily prevented with a password and isn't a requirement to even have it on a jailbroken phone. Other then that nothing is changed on the security side of the OS.

5. bakasam macrumors member

In my opinion voiding your warranty is just a crummy excuse apple is trying to use to prevent you from JBing.

If i'm not wrong, your phone only gets a 1 year warrantly unless you purchased any extended warranties or whatever. Honestly speaking its not really likely your phone will break down in that 1 year period if you are careful with your gadgets. Of course there are the odd stories where people have defectives or whatever but if your phone is fine and you take care of it I don't think there will be issues with it within the first year

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Jailbreaking is safe.
    There is a good number of people JBing.
    When you ask about the jailbreaking experience you are asking about something that really became mainstream about 2 years ago. Along the way there were horror stories, some I experieinced first hand. It would take a little effort, lots of patience, and a little hope and prayer that something wouldn't crash the phone. Again, experieince varied quite a bit.
    The Dev Team and some others kept at it and truly refined the process.
    Today, there are very good tutorials, a number of great forums (including this one) with helpful people.
    You will hear of the JB process slowing the phone down. Here there is some disagreement between the two camps. The 3G, in my experience, had significant lag when a lot of themes and background modifications were incorporated. Sometimes the lag was awful other times it was tolerable.
    The 3Gs with 4.x jailbroken might have a little lag but it is nothing compared to the 3G. The 4 I really haven't noticed any lag at all. Again, your experience may vary.
    The one downfall of jailbreaking is I become accustomed to the apps, add-ons, and functionality of the jailbreak benefits that when I am not jailbroken, the iphone is very very very boring. It becomes just a phone that can surf the web, email, text and make phone calls. Very boring.
    There is a lot to it but its not something that you need to learn all at once.
    Just be aware, some of the better third party apps that are found on Cydia and Rock are not free. However, there is a lot that is.

7. chormadito thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm very curious, but what is SSH?

To be honest, I want to be able to customize my theme and be able to add widgets on the lock screen. Is it worth it to JB?

I keep reading on how JBing means you can get viruses on your phone?

Once again, I appreciate any advice.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Most themes and such do not require ssh. Of course there are a lot that do.
    I like using diskaid.
    One thing I would recommend. Take your time in learning about jailbreaking.
    As you start out ssh'ing NEVER EVER try something new before the start of a work week or before major plans.
    If you can see if you can pick up a 3G on the cheap to play with. I did and it's been a life saver.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Secure SHell

If you're that nervous about it, don't jailbreak. BTW, exactly where do you 'keep reading' this?