The rMBP actually has a plastic screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donster28, Sep 6, 2014.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

I might be late in the news here but I just realized that the glass on the Retina MacBooks are actually plastic!

I had a chance to do whatever I wanted on a non-working screen, that my friend is replacing, and I was surprised to see deep marks left by poking/pressing my fingernails on the screen! The marks showed signs of slowly repairing themselves in a bit of time, but some seems to have remained. This is on 15-inch Retina late-2013.

:eek:

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Why are you pressing your fingernails on the screen? I feel like glass would add unnecessary weight to the device.

3. RianT macrumors member

RianT

I read a teardown by iFixit a while ago, where they tore down the 15" rMBP display. They did mention something about the display being the LCD screen itself, not an LCD screen in a casing. So maybe that's why...

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

It's glass not plastic. The coating and glass can scratch (and pit) though.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Why are you digging your fingernails into your $2000 laptop's screen

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

"I had a chance to do whatever I wanted on a non-working screen"

Do you even read, bro?

7. donster28, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for clarifying for me. :)

----------

That's what I thought at first, but believe me, it's plastic!

8. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree with the weight issue if it was glass. I still remember how heavy my first unibody MacBook Pro was. And that definitely had a glass on top of the LCD.

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Nope. It's glass. As seen on Apple website:"The Retina display doesn’t sit behind a layer of glass, it is the glass." Also you can see how it cracks and shatters by searching images.

10. Lachhh macrumors regular

No.

As a previous poster already stated, Apple themselves advertise it as glass. iFixit and countless others have taken the thing apart, don't you think that if it wasn't made of glass as advertised, it wouldn't have been discovered and decried in a femtosecond and Apple would be sued for false advertising? You'd also hear about it on every tech blog from here to Antarctica.
    Seriously, stop spreading FUD.

11. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

You are entitled to your own opinion as I am. Having tried an experiment most people don't have the opportunity to do so revealed this fact to me. But I am not here to convince you.

Oh and thank you for keeping my thread active. :)

12. Lachhh macrumors regular

[​IMG]

You're welcome.
    This is too good to miss.

13. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm glad you didn't miss it.

14. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

But it's not his opinion... it's a fact. The material in front of the screen is glass, end of story. Not all glass is manufactured the same way, so that's probably why it doesn't react the way you might expect it to.

15. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

It could be softer glass?...who knows.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Could be. Or, we're just so spoiled by the Gorilla glass on our smartphones that we forgot what normal glass is actually like :D

17. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

:d

18. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

This situation is most likely very much like that of the iPad Air. Just like this, some people noticed that the screen felt more hollow and flimsy on the iPad Air, compared to the previous iPad 2/3. Giving a less audible thunk when tapped, feeling like it has more give, etc. People immediately said, does the iPad Air have a plastic screen? The rMBP more than likely has a very thin layer of glass, that might scratch much more easily, or be made of a different material since I have also heard they basically have the LCD open now. I'm assuming that means it's been fused with a very thin layer of glass, which would be what you're messing with.

19. johndellis macrumors newbie

OP is not insane, but not 100% correct either.

All LCD's are made of a couple of pieces of glass with some tech-awesomness sandwiched between.

Older unibody macs had a sheet of actual glass placed in front of the glossy LCD.

The newer Retina Displays do not have the glass sheet in front of them. What you see and touch is the display itself.

Now, somewhere between your eyes and the inside of the Retina Display is a sheet of glass. But glass is not necessarily what you touch when you touch the screen.

Anti-reflective (think of a Dell latitude) displays have a sheet of light diffusing plastic stuck to their surface to diffuse the light hitting the screen from the outside. This is what makes it 'anti-reflective'.

It appears that the Retina Display has either 1.) A sheet of clear plastic something stuck to outside of it or 2.) a thick anti-glare coating that is sprayed on and polished.

Sure enough, if you touch your finger nail to the screen and press with even medium pressure, it makes a permanent impression. Silica glass will not receive impressions and retain them. You can scratch material away from glass but not compress the matter and have it stay compressed like that.

I did this myself to my brand new rMBP 15, in the black bezel area and sure enough, it leaves an impression.

So, do I care in any way that it might or not be "glass" that I am touching when I touch my screen? NO! These are the best screens I have ever seen and I haven't seen anything else come close.

See pic.

Attached Files: