Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I have a question:

As it seems, whenever you resurrect an old thread, you get yelled at by other people.

Yet, when you create a thread when there is another just like it, you also get yelled and, and get told to search before posting.

Is there a way to not get yelled at? :confused:;):D:cool::rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There's an easy test: Is the old thread still relevant for your new post?

If it's a tech related thread (question on hardware and/or software), then the thread will reach it's expire date much much quicker than let's say a community thread on Cheeses (which some people think only gets better when aged).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have a question:

As it seems, whenever you resurrect an old thread, you get yelled at by other people.

Yet, when you create a thread when there is another just like it, you also get yelled and, and get told to search before posting.

Is there a way to not get yelled at? :confused:;):D:cool::rolleyes:

isnt it obvious? you just arent suppose to post

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
There's an easy test: Is the old thread still relevant for your new post?

If the thread is 4 years old and you're just adding a pointless comment to it, it's not really relevant.

However, if you had a question relating the topic of the 4 year old thread, would it be better to start a-fresh, seeing as that thread had died years ago and could cause confusion?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I think it comes down to something basic. When people post replies saying you should search out, they generally feel when you find those related threads, it will provide all the answers you need. In that case there's no need to reawaken or start a new thread. Though, if the found threads don't supply the answer or don't resolve the issue, then you have to determine the best way forward.

If the old thread is very similar and isn't very long (less than 15-ish) then I'd say it's fine to awaken it (but realize some peoples won't realize how old the thread is and thus may also overlook your post). You may want to add the comment at the start of your post that you realize it's an older thread. Also, be sure to note in your post what in the original thread pertains to your situation. So many people simply say, "I have the same problem. Please help!!!!" and that isn't very helpful at all. Remember, you're the one wanting help, so make it easier for others to help you.

If an old thread is similar, but you have some more specific issues on hand or whatever, then I would supply links to those threads just to show that you've been searching around and you can also note how the problem in that thread is similar and different from your own problem. Properly done, this can get your issues fixed more quickly. Doing this does take more effort, but by showing you're willing to do some of the work on your problem, people are more willing to help and it often helps keep the trolls a little farther away.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
There are no "rules" for foruming, but Mitthrawnuruodo and angelwatt offer some excellent guidelines. Even then you will find some on the Forum who will not be happy with either way you do things. In those cases, you just have to ignore them and move on knowing you did your due diligence.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I always think resurrecting the old thread is better, as long as it is relevant. It shows that you at least made some effort to find an answer...as opposed to the thirty-five different renditions of "what external hard drive should I get" per week...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My personal habit is to bring back an old thread if the discussion there is still relevant or the topic is really the same, e.g., a technical problem that remains unsolved. Even if the old thread or threads aren't going to be much help and I think a fresh start would make more sense to other forum members, I might still post a link to previous threads. That gives other members a chance to read them if they want, and as a side effect it shows that you did indeed look for previous threads!

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
...(which some people think only gets better when aged).
Wait, the thread or the cheese? :D

But yeah, it mostly comes down to how relevant the info is in the thread resurrected. I've seen people get flamed for reviving a 3 month old thread dubbed "dead" as the information was truly old and outdated. While other topics have had new threads made when it was better off to resurrect an 18 month old thread.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If it's relevant, I see no problems resurrecting an older thread...

...as long as you actually READ the thread first. In many cases I see people cosigning on an old thread which has already been answered.

Just use some common sense.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
heres the difference..

when adding a comment to a thread started in 2004 and with the last post 2005: what comment are you going to add that makes your comment so important that the thread needs to be resurrected?

very often the comment that bumps a 5 year old thread will be along the lines of :

oh yeah, i agree or

yeah this happened to me

hence the annoyance of people...

meanwhile if you resurrected a thread that was 6 years old but with a comment such as: look what i found.....(link) this kind of goes against the other comments here...etc..etc.... even that...is questionable since 6 years is so long ago but you might get people to continue to add comments.

if you are looking for an answer to a commonly asked question...you can use old threads...just dont comment at the end saying oh thanks....

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
People are going to start new threads no matter what. If a member sees a bumped 5 page thread from a couple months ago, they're not going to look at it.

And people have no right to complain about it either, as they don't have to open the thread and view it if they didn't want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.