The Saboteur

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by whooleytoo, Dec 7, 2009.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Has anyone tried The Saboteur? Bought it over the weekend, was going to slate it after the first few hours, but I have to admit it's grown on me.. It's gone from "disaster" to "ok" :)

-The storyline and characters are comicbook-esque. (And if you don't like nudity or foul language, this game isn't for you!)
    -The graphics are poor - very low res textures everywhere, everything looks a bit bland and uninteresting, and the character animation a bit jumpy.
    -Climbing is slow, awkward and button-mashy.
    -Fighting is slow, awkward (no lock-on), and button-mashy.
    -Vehicles are slow, and awkward to turn. It's funny to watch the AI controlled cars doing 3-point turns to make it around some corners!
    -Stealth is fun, but after getting spotted a few times and having to start again/escape, you give up, grab a rocket launcher and go in blazing. And it's counter-intuitive: if you're spotted, you're more stealthy if you machine-gun the guard than if you duck and hide??
    -Lot of glitches, soldiers disappearing into floors, ground. Standing on air 50ft off the ground. Characters walking backwards in cutscenes. Cars driving backwards likewise. Ladders that don't work. Doors/actions that have a 'sweet spot' you need to stand in to activate.

In spite of all that, it is a bit of fun. The graphics are better at night (occupied areas) and out in the countryside. Some of the climactic scenes in the main quest seem straight out of an Indiana Jones movie. Starting random chaos in the streets and watching the Nazis escalating response is a lot of fun. (How often do you get to take out a Zeppelin?) And even the vehicles you get later on are a lot of fun to drive around Paris (with motorcycle & sidecars in manic pursuit). Even the glitches, when you encounter them, are funny.

And the perks (challenges & rewards for performing certain acts) add a lot of variety to the game. Not sure I'd pay full price for it again, but maybe worth checking out 2nd hand, or when the price comes down.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do you know what's scary...... You could be describing Pandemics last game 'Mercenaries 2'...

I'll probably pick up Saboteur when its down to €15 like Mercenaries 2.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Mercenaries 2 wasn't bad, but that's probably only because I had such great memories of Mercs 1...

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Must be, because Mercs 2 *was* pretty lousy.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

nahh Mercs 2 was fine if you only played for ~20 minutes at a time.... and tried to ignore most of the objectives.

6. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

And it's annoying, because it's almost a very good game. The art direction is good, but is spoiled by the fact if you move a few feet away from any building, it turns into a low res blur. The cars are nicely rendered, and the music from the period I really like. And the dark, night-time Nazi controlled areas have a depressing, eerie feel about them.

If only the climbing/jumping system were more easy, and fluid, it would go a long way.

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Maybe that's why I liked it. The only reason I did missions was so I could unlock bigger stuff to blow up things with :D

Hopefully Just Cause 2 is better than Mercs 2... I need a new over-the-top open world game.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Was in xtra-vision and they had a second hand copy of Saboteur already for €29.95 with a buy one / get one half price offer.

So I picked up Saboteur on PS3 and Episodes from Liberty City for 360 for €12.50 (with the offer).

Will give it a gamble for that price.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

AGHHH!!! Why didn't you warn me Whooleytoo ?

The irish accent is truly atrocious. Its worse than Leonardo Di Caprio's accent in Gangs of New York, and almost as bad as Tom Cruise's in that ***** film.....

It's like Jason Stratham meets Darby O'Gill..... Just waiting for him to say Top of the morning and I'll truly be in hell....

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

AGGHHHHHH

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I knew it was bleeding coming. I bleeding knew it........ :mad:

Now it's a case of him saying "where's me lucky charms" and we will be in true cliche hell.

On a side note... other that atrocious Irish accents. Games alright. More enjoyable (only 40 minutes or so in) than Mercs was for me.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

to brighten you up: as somebody native german speaking i have and had to endure much worse ;)

if you play a ww2 game in english: you got german characters talking gibberish (played by english native voice actors) or english with very lame accents
    if you play ww2 them in german: all characters (except russians) speak accentless german no matter if they are americans, german, french or brits
    so if you hear "Granate" (="Grenade") it may be one of your friends or enemies

as far as i heard from a friend The Saboteur voice acting isn't great either (edit: meaning that what germans sometimes speak with english audio isn't actual correct german)

why can't developer fix that ?

and then: uniforms ... i know it's "fantasy" but:
    -german soldiers wearing gas masks + trenchcoat + flamethrower
    -nazi woman with short skirt + leather jacket + way too much opened shirt + being not the nicest kind of person

why ... just why ?