Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
I jst thought I'd post this up to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before.

Well, I bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch with 2.53 ghz, 4 gig of ram and a 500 gig hard drive last Friday. I was told delivery would be the 14th which I thought was pretty quick. I checked today to my dismay to find that for starters, UPS couldn't find my shipping address (I bought a Macbook for my girlfriend in June and they found it then) so they were unable to deliver it. Then I checked online banking as I usually do each day and I found that Apple charged me twice fir my laptop, once when I ordered it last Friday and again today when it was supposed to be delivered. I rang the bank and Apple and got it sorted, apparently it's quite common!!!!!!!! Apparently when u order something your money is provisionally taken until you receive the product and it happens that sometimes you can get charged twice!! I thought that was pretty poor form. What if I couldn't access online banking and didn't check my balance, I'd never know I'd been charged twice until I got a statement.

Now I have to ring UPS tomorrow morning to hopefully redirect them to my address.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I've bought stuff from Apple before and never had any problems. Although this was the first time I bought something from them with my Debit Visa card instead of using my credit card.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Did you incur any charges as a result of this? If so, do you intend to claim them back from Apple? It drives me insane when they charge twice and then the bank lands you with a 30 quid fine for blowing your overdraft. :confused:

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Rang UPS this morning and the reason why they haven't delivered it yet is because there was a mix up with the shipping address and they only got half of the address so they didn't know where to bring it. Hopefully, fingers crossed I'll get it today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You typically see two charges from apple, the first one is when you place the order and they verify that you can actually afford the computer. That generally disappears a couple of days later. The second charge is the actual one that you will see on your credit card statement.

Apple isn't the only one that puts a hold on an amount on your credit card. Hotels typically do that when you reserve a room, I'm sure other computer manufacturers do something similar.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Oh yeah I know that. But they took the amount twice and my account balance was minus 800 euro! The bank said that this is quite common and deleted the duplicate amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.