The Saga of the Amazon-Ordered Cracked 58" Plasma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by psalesses, Dec 5, 2008.

1. psalesses macrumors newbie

I ordered a 58" Panasonic. Amazon said it would take 3-5 days to deliver it to my apartment, making today, the 5th day of the delivery window.

I called today to see when they would deliver because nobody had called me yet to set up a delivery date. I needed the TV before Monday because I was going home to my parents for Christmas. On the phone, they said Tuesday was the absolute earliest they could deliver. I told them that wouldn't work because I wouldn't be here and wouldn't be back for a month.

They told me that they just got the box today from Pilot and that if I wanted it earlier that I should come pick it up from their warehouse, 2.5 hours away. I know warehouses charge storage fees if it waits too long to be delivered. So I was pissed but said fine. So I drove from my apartment to their warehouse, 2.5 hours away. Closer to 3 with traffic. I got there at 5:45pm. They closed at 5.

The guy at the warehouse, who was clearly told to stay and wait just for me, was anxious to leave. He pushed my TV along the floor and up to the SUV. He started to load it and then asked me to help him load it. He put it in upright but said it would be better to be on its side so it didnt fall in transfer, and told me that if it was face up, it wouldn't hurt it. He told me when I got it home, to not open the box until it was room temperature or the screen could crack. I signed for it and drove home.

As I pulled out of their parking lot, he sped past me on the one lane road.

I drove 2.5 hours home. Two of my friends came over and helped me unload the TV and into the house. We waited, then opened the box. The screen was cracked.

Is Amazon going to help me or am I screwed? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can't say I've been in a similar situation, but I'm sure Amazon will make it right. I've heard great things about their customer service. It's a good thing you chose to buy it from Amazon rather than one of these shady fly-by-night retailers otherwise you would be screwed.

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Deliveries get screwed up all the time. You've got to give yourself a bigger time window.

Plus you had to announce that you'll be gone for a month and that no one will be home. Now someone knows where they can go to steal a new plasma TV and whatever else you have.

4. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

Good luck getting the crap past the gated community :)

Plus there won't be a tv or anything there. I gave it all to my parents for christmas.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Im pretty sure you shouldn't put a plasma on its side, but I could be wrong. Telling your story the way you did was actually helpful this time. I think if there are problems with Amazon then it'll be due to you going to pick it up and putting it in your car and the fact that you helped load it. However, I belive Amazon will make it right and perhaps the best person to ask is Amazon. All of our replies will be opinions and stories that probably tell our woes or success with Amazon.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I ordered a projector screen, and they used a shipping service like that (Yellow).

I won't do that again. What a major pain in the ass!

Just get it at the store next time.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I know you're not supposed to lay it face down, but not sure about laying it on its back. It's really untelling how stuff is treated while it's being shipped, I cringe at the thought.

8. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

For future reference: You're not suppose to ship a plasma on its side ever. Th weight of the glass cracks it. If you have to lay it down on its side at home, lay it face down extremely carefully. (At least that's what the Panasonic website says to do).

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I thought the box actually contained a "tell", to show if had ever been laid-down in transit?? Maybe they don't do that anymore??

Anyway, if the "tell" said it was not shipped horizontal, that was your cue to refuse delivery.

(Or maybe this should be in the dream thread??)

10. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

I searched the box for this "tell" that people have been talking about. None exists. Period.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

12. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

That would have been handy. Maybe if I got he 850U instead of the 800U they would have included a tell. The extra $400 has to go towards something right?

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wow....remind me to never buy a plasma. My Samsung LCD TV was laying flat in my trunk when I picked it up from Circuit City and it's fine.

14. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's illuminating. I had no idea plasma televisions were that fragile... how does something that easily destroyed actually survive shipping relatively often? And I'm kind of surprised they let people pick it up in their own cars and take it home themselves if it's that likely they're going to break it in the process....

P.S. What did Amazon say when you called them?

16. psalesses thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

:D

I called Amazon. Explained what happened. They are shipping a new TV.

Awesomeness!

17. descartes macrumors 6502

amazon has great customer service. every problem I have had they have come through for me.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I also have had good experiences, ranging from getting a relatively early Bluetooth headset and finding it was not compatible with the profile set my Nokia, and having them be very nice about paying for shipping and taking it back, to helping resolve minor tiffs with Marketplace sellers. Amazon has been good to me. :)

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Good to hear. In my experience, Amazon is always very helpful in resolving situations like this.