The Samsung Chromebook 2 and more free stuff from Google

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

So, besides the 100GB of free Google Drive space you get when you buy a Chromebook, you also get 12 free passes to GoGo inflight internet. If you happen to fly quite a bit on airlines like American, that can equate out to over $100 of free internet while you fly. Just found this out while I am flying from Dallas back to California (using the service at I type this).
    Only works with Chromebooks and the passes don't expire until late 2015 some time. You also get 60 days of free Unlimited Google Music access, instead of the normal 30 days (assuming you haven't signed up for it before.) Pretty good little bit of extras to give you the incentive to buy a cheap laptop. And now with Google docs have offline access, I think I am going to pass on buying another laptop and just stick with Chromebooks and tablets.

I spent $150 on my current Chromebook from Samsung (deal I got a while ago through Best Buy) and it isn't exactly what you call top of the line. But hey, it works for surfing the internet, document generation, watching youtube and email just fine. The latest Chromebooks coming out from Samsung have some pretty good specs and I think I will pass this one off to my daughter. The new Chromebooks have laptop level specs and screen resolution that closes in on a MacBook Pro retina display and for roughly $1000 cheaper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Getting one of these is looking more and more enticing. Especially for basic usage. I would still have a windows/osx machine around for more heavy stuff or when I need to run an application but keeping this around for shooting out an email or surfing the web sounds kind of nice.

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

It is particularly handy for those times you travel, but don't need something like a MacBook Air or you don't want to worry about damage. Also nice when you have someone come from out of town and they need a laptop. Chrome allows for multiple users, so it is nice from a security standpoint.

When the tablet you have has the battery drained or you want something more robust than a tablet, the Chromebook fits the void. It's also great for kids to do their schoolwork on. I like mine, but the low resolution of the first generation doesn't hack it for me anymore. I need a higher resolution screen and 1080p on the new Chromebook works for me. :D

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Is there a release date for the second gen?

5. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Next month (April) is the release date.

6. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Seems pointless for the price of a daily deal at Best Buy for a full Windows machine..

7. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Not quite. I use an chromebook every day now (also have a windows laptop). The equivalent laptop (small, lightweight, long battery etc) would have cost significantly more than the chromebook. The other reason I use the chromebook is speed. I open it up and it's running in seconds and that means I use it a lot more - It's practically instant on.

I also found that there were very few times that I was using a laptop off the net so I might as well get something that's always connected.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

b.c those cheap windows machines are still rocking those RPM Hard Drives. That is a massssiivvvvee difference.

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

[​IMG]

None of this is a godsend.

10. mclld macrumors 68000

No way would I spend that much when I could get a basic Windows laptop that offers more. $150-200, sure thing

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've had a netbook and it was awful. The keyboard was crap, it was slow and buggy. I much prefer a chromebook as a second computer than a cheap windows device. .

My series 3 chromebook is still going strong (approaching it's 2nd birthday) so I've no need to upgrade to this. However it looks very attractive.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Except if you don't use more, and you don't want to deal with maintenance, this is your thing. It isn't for everyone, and likely not for you, but there is a market out there.

13. mclld macrumors 68000

Well of course I am only speaking for myself. The maintenance thing is overblown, I have a Windows 8.1 desktop and it doesnt affect me

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm just used to the idea that people seem to have these days.

"Well, I have no use for it ergo nobody does" gets annoying.

15. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

That impressive going on two years and not feeling compelled to upgrade.

At first, I thought that these were useless. However, after trying one and having friends (somewhat techy) liking them, I think they're under appreciated. One of these days...

16. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Very nice, love the new 1920x1080 resolution. This might be a great Mothers Day or Bday gift for my mom since her aging Asus TF300T is starting to show its age.