Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Anyone still interested in the regular Samsung Galaxy phones?

They are likely at least five to six months away, but there have already been plenty of rumors about the kind of upgrades Samsung has in mind to make next year’s flagship a hit.

Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra could ditch the curved display for a rounded frame

Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra stunning concept video brings rumored upgrades to life

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm interested in the phones, but with the rumor that Samsung will once again (mis)treat Europeans with Exynos, I'll be at least skipping pre-orders and sticking with my Snapdragon S23+. In the unlikely scenario where Exynos turns out not to be a steaming pile of 💩 compared to Snapdragon, I'll reconsider. But with my Exynos S22+ still fresh enough in my memories, I'll skip another round of second-rate garbage for the price of a premium product.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Interested to see what they can actually do to improve on the S23 Ultra. It's near perfect (other than certain annoyances I have with RCS, but that's an Android issue).

I'm in the US so the whole Exynos thing doesn't matter to me. I'd say if anything, continue to focus on Battery Life because it sounds like the iPhone 15 Pro Max might be the new battery king. A flat screen would be nice too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Interested to see what they can actually do to improve on the S23 Ultra. It's near perfect (other than certain annoyances I have with RCS, but that's an Android issue).

I'm in the US so the whole Exynos thing doesn't matter to me. I'd say if anything, continue to focus on Battery Life because it sounds like the iPhone 15 Pro Max might be the new battery king. A flat screen would be nice too.
I hope it has a completely flat display as well. Its time Samsung....it's time to move to flat displays.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Perhaps a smaller pocketable ULTRA option?

Reactions: jr866gooner

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

We're going to continue to see camera improvements and hopefully battery improvements. I hope they don't aim for 'thinner' and keep battery life around 8-10 hours of SOT again. It seems that all Android devices aim for that.

Reactions: mjschabow

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Flat display is one of the reasons I got the plus instead of ultra. A flat-displayed ultra or plus with ultra-grade cameras would be close to perfection.
Yeah. I have the official Samsung screen protectors (not cheap) on my Fold 4 and S23U. When using gestures ie swiping right from the far left of the screen to go back I'm constantly swiping across the edge of the screen protectors and over time they are guaranteed to start peeling.

If the displays were flat then the screen protectors could extend further towards the edge to prevent this issue.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Just when I thought I was content to ride through the next year with my Pixel Fold and S23U I have to see this flat screened beauty. Looks like I'll be begging Samsung to take my money yet again. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: jamezr

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The best smartphones from Samsung in my opinion are Galaxy Note 9 and Galaxy S10+

I am still using Galaxy S10+ while my main phone is iPhone 14 Pro Max...

Samsung made the right decision to have the S23 series use Snapdragon instead of Exynos for all markets and not just limited to North America and South Korea... Now, if Samsung reintroduces Exynos for the S24 series and if the performance and battery life will not be on par with the Snapdragon counterpart, I highly suggest that those interested in S24 series to skip it and wait until Samsung stops using Exynos in their devices...

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
A flat-screen is beneficial for the phone for a couple of reasons. It would be easier to use the S Pen towards the edges of the screen if it is flat.

Another advantage would be access to cheaper and more effective screen protectors.

Image Credits: Ice Universe

Attachments

• S24-Ultra-Bottom-Profile.jpg
    S24-Ultra-Bottom-Profile.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I imagine it will come with double stacked battery tech and rumoured 2200 nits of brightness as it's set to use a M13 new panel display.

45w charging and 5000 battery size is staying the same

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The best smartphones from Samsung in my opinion are Galaxy Note 9 and Galaxy S10+

I am still using Galaxy S10+ while my main phone is iPhone 14 Pro Max...

Samsung made the right decision to have the S23 series use Snapdragon instead of Exynos for all markets and not just limited to North America and South Korea... Now, if Samsung reintroduces Exynos for the S24 series and if the performance and battery life will not be on par with the Snapdragon counterpart, I highly suggest that those interested in S24 series to skip it and wait until Samsung stops using Exynos in their devices...
The S23 Ultra is for sure the best Samsung phone if all time, but yes those phones were also good.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
On the s23 ultra I kind of question why they didn't transition to a flat screen? It probably would have driven sales even higher?

The screen on the s23 ultra is flat enough that at least optically looking at the edge there is no distortion anymore. But the biggest problem is cheap, decent, tempered glass screen protectors, you just can't find them for the s23u. So it would really be nice to have a completely flat screen. I don't normally like Samsung to copy Apple but in terms of flat screen, do it!

It would be nice to have symmetrical bezels but the size doesn't need to shrink too much. I think Samsung should just go all in on box. Make the sides even more squared. Flat screen. No rounded corners on any surface obviously to a degree and depending but just keeping things as square as possible and as comfortable to hold as possible. I think it would be cool to double down on what makes the ultra so unique as a slab smartphone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Eh, I’m finding my S23 Ultra display flat enough. I love the pink color of my phone so much. And it’s been just all around fantastic.

Those photos do look nice. I look forward to the release and seeing the reviews. But I’m not planning on upgrading because I did buy my S23 Ultra with the idea of keeping it at least 2 years if they made the refinements I wanted. And they did.

So I’m focusing my $$$ on potential Pixel 8 Pro purchase (but not at release) and the iPhone 15 Ultra Pro Max Expensive. 😆

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Eh, I’m finding my S23 Ultra display flat enough. I love the pink color of my phone so much. And it’s been just all around fantastic.

Those photos do look nice. I look forward to the release and seeing the reviews. But I’m not planning on upgrading because I did buy my S23 Ultra with the idea of keeping it at least 2 years if they made the refinements I wanted. And they did.

So I’m focusing my $$$ on potential Pixel 8 Pro purchase (but not at release) and the iPhone 15 Ultra Pro Max Expensive. 😆
I am sort of feeling the same way. There are no major or even small flaws with this phone. There is nothing they can introduce that will obsolete the phone. In the s22 series the 8 gen 1 was a bit of a letdown while the 8 gen 2 has been a huge success. Meaning the 8 gen 2 will age better than 8 gen 1 although 8 gen 1 wasn't a bad chip.

A flat screen would be nice, 8 gen 3 will be a decent upgrade but everything should be pretty iteritive this year. Next year I expect more big changes. So I think it makes mire sense to hold in to the s23u for a couple years.

I also agree the Pixel 8 could be a great improvement to the Pixel 7 Pro which is close to perfect. If they can get the Tensor G3 to be faster, while being a lot more efficient and much less thermal output. Google needs a vapor chamber cooling system not just graphite pads. Then the rest of the small upgrades could make a good phone great.

iPhone looks pretty exciting this year. Periscope zoom lense, usb c, a17 on 3nm, and the other changes could make iPhone really great if you can afford a Pro Max model since Apple holds back all of the best features for the most expensive flagships. So I am afraid until a new SE is released Apple may stay out of range for another year. I think the Google Pixel 8 Pro and s23u are going to be my go to phones probably for the next year.

Of course if Google Fi offers the same $599 pre order deal for s24ultra 512/12gb model with no trade in required. 4 month contract, unlocked phone. Then I will most likely sell my s23 ultra on private market and get the s24 ultra again. If they don't have the same offer next year then I will happily stay on the s23u.

I litererally got off Google Fi even though I was enjoying the service so I will be considered a new customer and in several months might be able to take advantage of the same deal again.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am sort of feeling the same way. There are no major or even small flaws with this phone. There is nothing they can introduce that will obsolete the phone. In the s22 series the 8 gen 1 was a bit of a letdown while the 8 gen 2 has been a huge success. Meaning the 8 gen 2 will age better than 8 gen 1 although 8 gen 1 wasn't a bad chip.

A flat screen would be nice, 8 gen 3 will be a decent upgrade but everything should be pretty iteritive this year. Next year I expect more big changes. So I think it makes mire sense to hold in to the s23u for a couple years.

I also agree the Pixel 8 could be a great improvement to the Pixel 7 Pro which is close to perfect. If they can get the Tensor G3 to be faster, while being a lot more efficient and much less thermal output. Google needs a vapor chamber cooling system not just graphite pads. Then the rest of the small upgrades could make a good phone great.

iPhone looks pretty exciting this year. Periscope zoom lense, usb c, a17 on 3nm, and the other changes could make iPhone really great if you can afford a Pro Max model since Apple holds back all of the best features for the most expensive flagships. So I am afraid until a new SE is released Apple may stay out of range for another year. I think the Google Pixel 8 Pro and s23u are going to be my go to phones probably for the next year.

Of course if Google Fi offers the same $599 pre order deal for s24ultra 512/12gb model with no trade in required. 4 month contract, unlocked phone. Then I will most likely sell my s23 ultra on private market and get the s24 ultra again. If they don't have the same offer next year then I will happily stay on the s23u.

I litererally got off Google Fi even though I was enjoying the service so I will be considered a new customer and in several months might be able to take advantage of the same deal again.
I’m really really REALLY hoping I get along with the iPhone 15 Pro Max display. I honestly did buy the 14 Pro Max with the thought of keeping it at least 2 years. I’m really not wanting to trade it in. I wished it had worked out. It’s a beautiful phone.

Now it does on occasion have some really weird rapid battery drain. But that was just once in awhile. Any phone will have a rogue day.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
The Galaxy S24 series could come out even sooner and bring with it a brand new product that could steal the limelight away from the phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.