the "search" feature in version 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gothamm, Jul 5, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

about time!! was the my reaction when i first saw the screenshot. But then i noticed the search function was featured in the phone part to search contacts.

does anyone know whether the search function will also be included in the ipod application?

I currently have 2500 songs on my iphone and its extremely annoying to scroll down the list, instead of simply typing-in the song i want to hear.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

barring any last minute changes, I think you're going to be disappointed

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Not likely in this update possible in a future one.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd echo Draythor's thoughts - there is likely to be a decent shake up in the iPod ecosystem, hardware and software this year, so there may well be some decent changes to how things work. But it's hard to talk about any one feature. If it was in 2.0 for the iPhone, it'd be easier to see it trickle down to the iPod.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I don't think it'll get added. The reason is because you can get to any song you want relatively easily. You can sort by artist or album first and then it makes it easier to find. So instead of all 2,500 in one group you might have approx 200 groups (average album 12 songs). With 2,500 contacts, in most cases they're all lumped together. Besides, the contacts search is there more as an enterprise/business feature. Pretty sure searching for songs isn't on the top of the to-do list for those users. Even if I had 10,000 songs on the iPod, it's a couple taps to find something, sort by artist, tap the letter of the artist name, scroll a bit, tap name, tap album, tap song. Takes like 3 seconds? Is it really that much of an inconvenience for you?

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For any other device, that would be a major chore, lol. But navigating menus is a total joy with iPhone.