The sender address was invalid

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iltasso, Jun 23, 2010.

1. iltasso macrumors newbie

Hi,

Whenever I try to send emails when connected to 3G I get the above message and it sits in the outbox. It all works fine when connected to wifi. I've tried re entering the account details and turning the iPad off and on again but still no luck!
    It seemed strange to me that it only happens when connected to orange 3G.
    I'm sure it has worked ok in the past as well... but I'm not 100% sure of that!
    Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

2. jtara macrumors 65816

You haven't said what email provider you are using. That's critical information.

I'm guessing that you are using an email account from your home Internet provider, and are attempting to connect to their SMTP server to send mail.

Many ISPs check email senders to make sure that they are accessing the server from within their own network. 3G = not from within your home Internet provider's network!

There are a few solutions:

1. See if your home Internet provider permits sending mail from outside their own network. If they do, you probably will only be permitted to do so using an authenticated connection (home Internet providers often permit unauthenticated access to SMTP, with the provision that you need to connect from within their network) and probably will require an encrypted connection on a different port. (Which you need to use for your own protection in any case).

2. Use your cell phone provider's SMTP server. However, you could have the same problem issue when sending mail from WiFi...

3. Use a third-party mail provider. Most offer encrypted SMTP connections with authentication that you can access from anywhere. (I use Rackspace Mail. I've had the service forever, and it's RackSpace Mail because a big fish bought a little fish that bought a smaller fish.... and I'm grandfathered at $1/month.)