Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2005
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Any info on why or is it just too many users on at once?

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2005
It never said this thread went through, I tried like 30 times so I'm glad it only went through once! :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This happens every time Apple announces new hardware - right now there are something like 2000 people on this site, so naturally things will be sluggish.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
yellow said:
What LB said.. always happens when new hardware or megarumors come out.
I hadn't even checked that. Now it's at 2573...about 80 from the all time record :eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
xsedrinam said:
I hadn't even checked that. Now it's at 2573...about 80 from the all time record :eek:

It's gone down to ~2200 - damn, so close!

Maybe when the Intel Macs come out we'll break the record - I think the last one was set when the G5 was introduced.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Both Apple and MacRumors experienced very heavy traffic today. Both stayed up and running but were slow at times.

And we just missed the forum record of 2652 members online (January 2004, during Macworld SF 2004).

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Doctor Q said:
Both Apple and MacRumors experienced very heavy traffic today. Both stayed up and running but were slow at times.

Getting the "server is busy" message 9 times out of 10 when trying to view a thread or post is not "staying up".

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mac-er said:
Getting the "server is busy" message 9 times out of 10 when trying to view a thread or post is not "staying up".
As opposed to "the software crashed and we had to manually start it back up again"? As long as people were able to get through and the software didn't crash, I'd say that it stayed up.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lord Blackadder said:
It's gone down to ~2200 - damn, so close!

Maybe when the Intel Macs come out we'll break the record - I think the last one was set when the G5 was introduced.

Yep, you are correct - that was a fun time to be on the Forum, trust me! Looking forward to MWSF, as I am almost positive that record will be broken. :cool: But will it be because of Intel-based Mac announcements, or dual-core 3 GHz G5 PowerMac announcements - or both? :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:

Yes, I noticed Apple.com acting sluggish as well now that you mention it. Not surprising though. I hope they beef up their xServes for MWSF, as I think they'll be getting a lot of hits after that Keynote. Hmm, in a twist of irony, they should beef up their servers with Intel-based machines for the event... ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Doctor Q said:
Another amazing coincidence: Both Apple and MacRumors announced the iPod nano today!

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
~Shard~ said:
Yep, you are correct - that was a fun time to be on the Forum, trust me! Looking forward to MWSF, as I am almost positive that record will be broken. :cool: But will it be because of Intel-based Mac announcements, or dual-core 3 GHz G5 PowerMac announcements - or both? :eek:

The problem is that the big events are just too big - the number of users trying to get on is way above the server capacity so either the forums will crash completely, or it they'll be hidden from the public. If they are open, it'll be partially down to luck if they stay up long enough to get enough people online to break the record.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Knox said:
The problem is that the big events are just too big - the number of users trying to get on is way above the server capacity so either the forums will crash completely, or it they'll be hidden from the public. If they are open, it'll be partially down to luck if they stay up long enough to get enough people online to break the record.

Good point - even though a record number of people may try to access the site, they may not all be able to! Ah well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things...

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
see, this makes me wonder what kind of hardward mr is running on. i remember they upgraded several months ago but someone give us all the details!

i'd guess it was a quad xeon or p4 machine with 2.4ghz procs

and how much bandwidth does mr deliver in a month?

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Porshuh944turbo said:
see, this makes me wonder what kind of hardward mr is running on. i remember they upgraded several months ago but someone give us all the details!

i'd guess it was a quad xeon or p4 machine with 2.4ghz procs

and how much bandwidth does mr deliver in a month?

The site runs on three servers, one of which is a dual Xeon, other two are P4s. Monthly bandwidth usage will be close to or over 1TB for the main site & forums combined I would imagine, based on what arn's said in the past.

~Shard~ said:
Good point - even though a record number of people may try to access the site, they may not all be able to!

Yup, also bear in mind that even the forum user record is only a fraction of the visitors at keynotes - last keynote there were more than 35,000 people looking at the main transcript at any one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.