Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Hey all,

I wanted your opinions on the setup that I am considering.

I am thinking about getting the 13" MacBook Pro, replacing the hard drive with a 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive myself, and buying an external 24" display to set alongside the MacBook Pro whenever I am at my desk (not an Apple cinema display as those are crazy expensive).

My questions:
- I've found this site that explains how to replace the hard drive in a unibody MacBook Pro. By doing this, do I void any warranties?
- How do you think the MBP 13" with the integrated Intel graphics can handle the dual display? Although I would love 1440x900 on my 13" MBP, I figure I can deal with 1280x800 as long as I have a nice dual monitor setup.
- Would you suggest a 15" MBP (with no dual monitor setup) over a 13" MBP with a dual monitor setup? My uses: I am a developer, and will use this computer for at least some development. I am a casual gamer, but not a heavy gamer (I like to play Starcraft 2 every once in awhile). (Side note: I assume it would be possible to get SC2 to display on the external monitor and not the 13" MBP display?). Also, I am considering dual booting OS X and Windows 7.

Finally: What other computers are out there that you think compete well with the 13" MBP? The HP ENVY looks very similar spec-wise, although its display resolution is actually slightly lower than the 13" MBP. Are there any 13" or 14" laptops out there that have:
- higher res than 1280x800 (other than the MBA of course)
- 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive

Thanks for the help in the decision making process!

Last edited:

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Hey all,

I wanted your opinions on the setup that I am considering.

I am thinking about getting the 13" MacBook Pro, replacing the hard drive with a 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive myself, and buying an external 24" display to set alongside the MacBook Pro whenever I am at my desk (not an Apple cinema display as those are crazy expensive).

My questions:
- I've found this site that explains how to replace the hard drive in a unibody MacBook Pro. By doing this, does I void any warranties?
- How do you think the MBP 13" with the integrated Intel graphics can handle the dual display? Although I would love 1440x900 on my 13" MBP, I figure I can deal with 1280x800 as long as I have a nice dual monitor setup.
- Would you suggest a 15" MBP (with no dual monitor setup) over a 13" MBP with a dual monitor setup? My uses: I am a developer, and will use this computer for at least some development. I am a casual gamer, but not a heavy gamer (I like to play Starcraft 2 every once in awhile). (Side note: I assume it would be possible to get SC2 to display on the external monitor and not the 13" MBP display?). Also, I am considering dual booting OS X and Windows 7.

Finally: What other computers are out there that you think compete well with the 13" MBP? The HP ENVY looks very similar spec-wise, although its display resolution is actually slightly lower than the 13" MBP. Are there any 13" or 14" laptops out there that have:
- higher res than 1280x800 (other than the MBA of course)
- 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive

Thanks for the help in the decision making process!

Theres a video tutorial on OWC. It doesn't void the warrantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.