The side button

ZEEN0j

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
How do you use it? I bought a series 4 after using my series 0 for the past 3 years. On the 0 I had all my favorite apps there. Biggest reason was because you had to to keep them in memory. Otherwise you’d wait at least 30 sec before they loaded.

Now with 4, apps load super fast so I defaulted to latest apps instead. After doing this I never press that button anymore (except Apple Pay). Using infograph analog I have all my most used apps as complications. With the bigger screen it’s easier to open apps from the honeycomb menu.

I kind wish you could do something else with that button now. The old social button I kinda miss

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Most of the apps I used daily are in there: activity, workout, remote, reminders, messages, timer, music and calendar. I'd say I probably use it more than the home button for launching apps.

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Formally, pressing the side button once brings up the Dock which contains presumably your frequently used apps for easy access and quick launching. However, the new Infograph face which contains up to 8 complications can effectively replace the Dock as an "App Launcher".

I don't use the Infograph face, so the Dock works as my fast app launcher.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I've been wondering this too. Does keeping an app in the dock still improve load time? Does it force complications to update more frequently? I've been assuming it does and keeping things like Sports Alerts there so my complication scores are always current. But is this necessary?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I've been wondering this too. Does keeping an app in the dock still improve load time? Does it force complications to update more frequently? I've been assuming it does and keeping things like Sports Alerts there so my complication scores are always current. But is this necessary?
Active watch face complications keep 'background app refresh' turned on (regardless of the user setting for the app).

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Carrot recommends placing their app in the dock to ensure complications update more quickly, so I’m assuming they do receive update priority.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
How do you use it? I bought a series 4 after using my series 0 for the past 3 years. On the 0 I had all my favorite apps there. Biggest reason was because you had to to keep them in memory. Otherwise you’d wait at least 30 sec before they loaded.

Now with 4, apps load super fast so I defaulted to latest apps instead. After doing this I never press that button anymore (except Apple Pay). Using infograph analog I have all my most used apps as complications. With the bigger screen it’s easier to open apps from the honeycomb menu.

I kind wish you could do something else with that button now. The old social button I kinda miss
I use it to bring up the dock so I can force close apps in the background.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
If you have it set to show "recently used apps," swipe left and hit the red "X," or are you saying this doesn't actually close the apps?
Yes that’s what I tested. After “closing” the app (actually just removing it from the list). If you open it again the app won’t have the loading icon and scroll position in app is the same as before as well. To kill an app you hold the side button until you get the slide to turn off, then you release the side button and hold the crown.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yes that’s what I tested. After “closing” the app (actually just removing it from the list). If you open it again the app won’t have the loading icon and scroll position in app is the same as before as well. To kill an app you hold the side button until you get the slide to turn off, then you release the side button and hold the crown.
Well, in that case I have no real use for the side button then since I launch my apps from complications.

Reactions: ZEEN0j