The silver lining about the 2014 "update"

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZipZilla, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ZipZilla macrumors regular

Yes, they're slower/crippled/whatever

But at least the product still exists. That's the main thing. I really think a redesign is coming. This is a stop-gap refresh.

2. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

Yes, but how long will it take to refresh them again? I'm hoping this the trend with larger gaps between upgrades.

3. phositadc macrumors 6502

This stop gap update should have been released nearly a year ago. And it would have been a disappointment even then... Much more so now!

4. giggles macrumors 6502

1) The product still exists and the redesigned motherboard (and to some extent redesigned case, in terms of cut outs on the back and new non-screwable black plastic base) suggests there will be more, I don't think this is a 1-shot design. This IS the REdesign as far as I'm concerned. What's a stopgap thing is the lack of quad cores, that will come back with Broadwell 14nm lithography.
    2) It sips power, especially the base one
    3) There's a 1TB pcie flash option (wasn't a given, Airs and 21.5" iMacs don't have it)
    4) It's got two thunderbolt2 ports (wasn't a given, they could pull a "Air" and keep it a 1-thunderbolt device, it's got a full gigabit already after all)
    5) It's still got an internal PSU (no power brick like on intel NUCs)

3, 4 and 5 are pretty unique in this form factor