Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Yes, they're slower/crippled/whatever

But at least the product still exists. That's the main thing. I really think a redesign is coming. This is a stop-gap refresh.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Yes, they're slower/crippled/whatever

But at least the product still exists. That's the main thing. I really think a redesign is coming. This is a stop-gap refresh.

Yes, but how long will it take to refresh them again? I'm hoping this the trend with larger gaps between upgrades.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
This stop gap update should have been released nearly a year ago. And it would have been a disappointment even then... Much more so now!

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
1) The product still exists and the redesigned motherboard (and to some extent redesigned case, in terms of cut outs on the back and new non-screwable black plastic base) suggests there will be more, I don't think this is a 1-shot design. This IS the REdesign as far as I'm concerned. What's a stopgap thing is the lack of quad cores, that will come back with Broadwell 14nm lithography.
2) It sips power, especially the base one
3) There's a 1TB pcie flash option (wasn't a given, Airs and 21.5" iMacs don't have it)
4) It's got two thunderbolt2 ports (wasn't a given, they could pull a "Air" and keep it a 1-thunderbolt device, it's got a full gigabit already after all)
5) It's still got an internal PSU (no power brick like on intel NUCs)

3, 4 and 5 are pretty unique in this form factor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.