The simple things I cant believe iPhone doesnt have

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bbplayer5, Sep 11, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Without jailbreak of course...And should be on the App Store!

1. Themes... Make an iTunes adon that allows you to edit your icons!! Enable wallpaper on the springboard, and changing the dock.

2. SMS Privacy... Nothing like a dirty text popping up while showing someone your iphone huh? ;)

3. SMS and Call reminders - Let us know we missed a call periodically!

4. MMS ... Duh

5. The option for programs to run in the background.. Why block them and not just WARN us if the app is going to be running? Sounds like a cover for something....

# 5 Enables all of the other stuff to work

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) I would really like this as then I'd have a PADD instead of an iPhone.
    2) Simply enable passcode, disable SMS preview, disable passcode.
    3) That is what the red bubbles are for, I'm glad I don't get reminder beeps.
    4) I never used MMS, and can't see any point to it.
    5) NO. There is only 128MB of RAM on the iPhone, adding background processes would slow the phone down too much and kill battery life.

TEG

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1. Apple likes to have their products look the same, and the iphone theme looks like a great tie in to the OSX style.

2. Don't have a phone and not sure about texting so i cant comment on this

3.sounds like a good idea, but what way would you implement it?

4.again, i dont text or anything, but to me email just seems like the way to go with that...

5. Apple doesnt want backround apps mainly for battery useage. Think the batt sucks now? try running apps all the time in the back, especially multiple ones.

AND,

to me it sounds like you want a jailbreak, just do it.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

what do you have against enabling options for the above features?

i would love to have an option for reminder beeps, love to have mms, and the option to have apps run in background

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If Mac OS X doesn't let you change the dock (without terminal commands) then I doubt Apple would put that for the iPhone...

Whilst it doesn't apply to me, I definitely agree. Maybe it should show it at the top right next to the battery...but not the actual SMS message.

Yeah, even though I don't use it, it sounds really easy...add a button that lets you choose a photo from the library or camera.

Because in order to close them, you'd have to force quit it...and even if they pop something up asking whether to close or to keep open, it'd be really annoying. Plus, push covers almost everything and it's better. The only major apps it doesn't cover are the radios.[/QUOTE]

6. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

1) I would really like this as then I'd have a PADD instead of an iPhone.
    2) Simply enable passcode, disable SMS preview, disable passcode.

--Wrong. If you are already in your phone, the message pops up.

3) That is what the red bubbles are for, I'm glad I don't get reminder beeps.

-- Then you could turn it off? :rolleyes:

4) I never used MMS, and can't see any point to it.

-- The deciding factor in a phone feature doesnt stop at your phone.

5) NO. There is only 128MB of RAM on the iPhone, adding background processes would slow the phone down too much and kill battery life.

-- Never jailbroke huh? Thus the warning before it goes into the background...

7. GNice macrumors 6502

What I don't understand is people that purchase the iPhone and then complain so much about lack of MMS. 2 minutes of research and anyone would have known it's not a feature of the phone. If you think MMS is vital and bought an iPhone then that's your fault.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe because the iphone has alot of advantages.....plus the fact that mms could be supported if apple chose to....

9. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

wow, i really, REALLY have to echo the SMS preview issue.

my g/f and i love talking dirty over text and i've had some family/friends see those text messages when they were playing games on my phone.

the problem is that putting passlock on the phone only prevents the message from viewing when the phone is locked, but once it's unlocked (someone playing a game or surfing the net), the messages appear.

LAME apple.......very LAME

10. BuzzLightyear macrumors newbie

This is definitely a huge issue!

For example... I go to the kitchen to grab a pop from the fridge. I get an SMS, but don't hear the meager alert from my iPhone (why Apple restricts SMS alert tones to only a few different sounds instead of being able to select from any installed sound is beyond me!). I get back to my desk and go about my business. The only way I'll ever know I have an unread SMS is if I pick up my iPhone, and manually check! That really sucks.

I'd love to have a user-selectable reminder sound that played at some user-configurable interval when there were unread SMS's and/or missed calls... along with an option to "flash" the iPhone screen in some solid color (like red) for a 1/4 second at some interval as a visual indicator.

I'd also like the same thing for "urgent" MobileMe messages. I want to be able to set up some "rules" on the MobileMe prefs page to indicate when a particular message is "high priority". Then when it gets pushed to the iPhone, have it sound a different tone than just the little "ding" you get for new mail, and have it periodically remind me that there is an urgent unread email. This last thing is something I really miss from my BlackBerry.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yeah, that would be nice, though people can confuse it for someone sending them a message at that point, so they think they're receiving a few more than what it actually is...especially if it's on silent mode where the only indicator would be a vibrate.

That'd be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. :D

12. BuzzLightyear macrumors newbie

But it would be effective, especially if you were someplace where you need silence (ala studying at the library). A lot of phones have an LED that flashes for this purpose, but since the iPhone doesn't, a brief flash of the screen in a user-selectable color would be a nice option (if you don't like it, don't use it) for some people.

Are there any "reminder"-type programs that alert you to unread SMS's or missed calls if your jailbreak your phone?

13. obliterations macrumors newbie

Bigger SMS Font Sizes

Why can't they make the SMS font size user adjustable. This would greatly help people with bad eyesight. Normally Apple is sensitive to that sort of thing. I guess this time they just forgot or don't care?:(

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

1. I'd love to have themes.
    2. Not a big deal to me, as I don't send dirty texts.
    3. I'd love this as well. I would expand it to include emails.
    4. While I've never used it, I really don't see why it isn't included.
    5. Not sure about this. I would hate to see stability affected by programs running in the background.

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

True, but honestly, do you see Apple adding that? I'm sure they'd do it in their own way that makes it look nice, but exactly flashing a color like red every so often?

As for jailbreaking, yes there are. There's a program that does play a sound/vibrate every so often if you have an unread SMS or missed call.

16. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

17. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Allowing apps to run in the background is a very bad idea. While people here may know that you want to shut them down, the casual user will not and will complain loudly about the fact that applications keep crashing (when in reality its their own fault). Forbidding apps to run in the background is a really great idea.

18. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

The whole theme thing is silly, but I agree. I'd love to have them too. It's just a further way to customize and express yourself.

Pocket PC and Palm all allowed for this, at least the ones I've had. I'd like to see it in the iPhone software, especially now that they've realized it's a true platform and not solely a utilitarian device.

19. ccfoodog macrumors member

There are potential ways to work with this and other problems without an outright ban. For example, have a settings slider with how many applications to allow in the background, starting at zero and defaulting to zero.

All background tasks could be run at a lower priority (reniced). I don't know if the device uses swap, but it potentially could fit in with low priority processes which could be paged out when not active.

The setup screen could also have a per application checkbox to indicate if that application should be allowed to run in the background. This would allow the user to further discriminate which applications (if any) they wanted to allow in the background.

-john

20. KillSMSPreviews macrumors newbie

I agree on the sms preview issue!

When u disable SMS preview, the iphone STILL sends you an SMS preview that shows the senders name! So annoying! Is there any way to stop this? Or do I have to buy a different brand of phone? Can anyone recommend a brand of phone that has the option to turn off previews? Has apple planned to include any updates that will fix this?

Also, u should be able to lock text messages. So if someone's playing games on your phone, they cant go in and read your entire personal life.