The Sims 2 Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tektonnic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Hi,

On the new iMac 2ghz core duo, my girlfriend has the sims 2 but when you go to the neighborhood screen it displays it all when you scroll across the screen but when you stop it is glitchy, as in, half the houses and road disappear!

Is there a way of fixing this? I've tried changing the graphics and screen res options but that doesn't seem to help.

Cheers, Tek

2. lisamcdee macrumors newbie

The Sims 2 is unplayable on the new aluminum intel iMacs. The problem is the graphic cards. If you contact Aspyr, they will tell you that they are aware of the problem but, unfortunately, they are unable to support any of their games on the new iMacs at this time. Whether or not they will eventually be able to fix the problem is unclear. Many of the games ported by Aspyr do not run on the new machines. Highly disappointing for those of us who bought new iMacs with our favourite Mac games in mind.

3. Padraic macrumors regular

Do you have proof of this? I haven't found anything on web confirming this. If there was an actual problem I would have thought I'd see more in the games forums. I would appreciate a link or something.

Thanks!

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Wow... Aspyr sucks...

5. lisamcdee macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I don't have a link for you. I, myself, am astonished that not one word of this is mentioned anywhere on either the Apple site or the Aspyr site, although both companies are well aware of the problem. To confirm that the game will truly not run on the new iMacs I suggest that you send an email to the support people at Aspyr and they will, in turn, send you the standard reply. Personally, I have posted about this problem on every board I know of because, if someone had told me about it in advance, I would not have purchased a new computer at this time.

And no, Aspyr doesn't suck - this really isn't their fault. Apple changed the graphic cards with not one word in advance to any other company. There wasn't much that Aspyr could do about it, (although, I do not understand that they give absolutely no indication to new buyers of this problem anywhere on their web site).

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

If this is true, this really sucks. I'm a big fan of The Sims, but I haven't played a "real" version in a long time. By that, I mean that all I've played are the console versions, which aren't nearly as good from what I've seen as the Mac/PC versions. I used to have The Sims 2 on my last PC before I switched to the Mac, which was almost 3 years ago. I'm just really wanting to get back into it. Can't wait 'til they get a fix for this.

7. jellybean macrumors regular

What a joke. So... it won't run on Macs with integrated graphics like Mac mini, Macbook... and now it won't even run on the new iMac? How do they expect to sell any copies if The Sims will only run properly on Mac Pros and Macbook Pros... not many of their target audience will have machines like that

8. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Does this include The Sims Stories series, too, do you know?

9. lisamcdee macrumors newbie

I don't know that. You would have to contact Aspyr. There is a problem with a number of Aspyr games and the new iMacs, though. It is possible that the Sims 2 is only be unplayable on the 20 inch iMac, as a couple of simmers who have the larger model have told me that it plays okay on their machines.

10. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

No probs, I'll open a ticket, and post what they say....

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

If it's a graphics card issue, does it only affect the lower-end 20" model with the 2400XT? I have the higher end 20" model with the 2600 Pro, which is the same card that's in the 24". I'm really wanting to play The Sims 2. Has anyone tested it on their 20" with the 2600 Pro?

12. ness31 macrumors newbie

Where did you see that? It runs fine on my Macbook.

13. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

pretty sad... it runs fine on my 3 year old Dell. Is it a problem with the mac version? I am planning on running XP on my MBP just for the Sims2. Ha ha. I hope it will work!

14. holybatfart macrumors member

holybatfart

it will definitely work in XP. Works fine for me in osx:p

15. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I know that the Revision E works fine on my Macbook. I'm downloading revision F right now. Weird, I just bought the game 2 days ago, and it's been out of date for months.

16. Pamela Troy macrumors newbie

Still mad about it.

Let us know. I've sent a ticket to Aspyr about this a month ago, and would be interested in any updates. Needless to say, I'm especially annoyed about shelling out some $50 bucks for a game that, after about a year's play, is now nothing more than a very expensive silver disk. And while the problems with the video card may not be Aspyr's fault, the fact that potential purchasers are not being warned about it really makes me angry.

17. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I would LOVE to see something done about this issue. I'd really like to buy The Sims 2, but there's no point if I can't even play it. I wonder if there will be updated graphics drivers in Leopard?

18. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I opened a ticket yesterday morning, it has yet to be updated....

19. Tygernoot macrumors member

Same problem here. I get graphical glitches on the 20" iMac (basic model).

20. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Spoke to soon :):

21. Pamela Troy macrumors newbie

About that Patch...

I got a similar message. Downloaded the patch, and I guess you could say it "helps" with the glitch in that it's definitely improved it. While before, moderately sized squares of graphics would disappear when I entered a neighborhood in Sims 2, now huge, ENORMOUS squares of graphics disappear when I enter a neighborhood in Sims 2.

22. xredheadish macrumors newbie

The Solution!

I've been having the same problem on my new Aluminum iMac. I contacted Aspryr about it and they helped me out a bit. You guys should too =)

23. clopert, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

clopert macrumors newbie

24. Dream4Destiny macrumors newbie

the sims 2

i bought my mac specifically for the sims 2 game, i have one of the new 20" imacs and when i installed the game its graphics are ridiculous there is no way i can play it, the furniture and people disappear and the entire screen no matter if im in a house or neighbourhood turns blue in parts, ive tried the patches and they dont work i spoke to an apple care technitian and he told me that a mac video update should fix it only i cant find one. apple makes their money on these games because there is no refunds or exchanges on games, something they failed to tell me when i bought the game. i wouldnt have spent the thousands of dollars i did to get this mac if i knew it wouldnt perform the one task i got it for.
    i hope they fix this, coz im not happy with this product at all.