The single most important API in Android Lollipop - SD card full support

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Google has finally rewritten the SD card support api with enhanced security and full read/write capability for all 3rd party developers.

Now manufacturers can add SD card hardware support and consumers can actually fully utilize it without the need for a skinned OS like Touchwiz. Stock Android can utilize SD cards now. My guess is that this was necessary for Android One cheap handsets that will only have 4-8gb of built in storage.

Link to article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Nice! I can get some more usage out of my 128gb card now.

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

But it's still no gaurantee that you'll be able to install or move apps onto the SD card right? It's up the developer to support that, isn't that right?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yet strange they opted to not have the SD slot on the nexus devices again.

5. apolloa, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I think that's because Google wants to promote their cloud storage services.

6. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Funny because this last couple of days, I've really gotten sick of my 64gb SD card. My Samsung slowed down because of it, now my G3 has too.

I can actually understand Google's dislike of it. It's fine for holding films, but for everything else in my experience, it's clunky.

Next phone, I'm going without SD!

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Just found out! Awesome news! It's very annoying having to do workarounds in my SGS5 to move downloaded files from the internal SD to the external SD all the time.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is nice to see Google correcting this after the hash they made it in Kit Kat.

9. gotluck, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Good news for the GS4 Play Edition, dont have to root and change platform.xml anymore
    too bad they never released a successor

oh yes, and the M8 GPE