The Sly Cooper Collection (& Splinter Cell HD Collection)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Somehow these games completely passed me by when they came out on PS2.... Are they really as good as I keep reading now? It sounds like they would be up my ally, I'm a big fan of Ratchet/Clank for instance.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I loved them at the time... I'm considering re-purchasing but things have moved on (benchmark & expectations in gameplay) and i'm not sure nostalgia will be so forgiving. Likewise SplinterCell & Prince of Persia collections are also tempting me.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I tried Splinter Cell (not sure which one...I think it was the first PS2 release) back in the day, and it was just way too linear for me. There wasn't so much "figuring out how to solve this stealth situation" as "finding the only gameplay mechanic that works here" to proceed in the game. Did that change later on?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not really...

Oh and my suspicions were correct with Pronce of Persia collection. Nostalgia is best left as something cerebral as the physical is rather disappointing.

Should have saved my $$

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I picked up the Sly Cooper Collection as I had all three of them on the PS2 and they were a blast back in the day. My oldest son wasn't old enough to understand everything and my youngest doesn't even remember them, so it's like a whole new set of games for them. After the initial nostalgia has worn off, I have to admit that they didn't age as well as I'd liked. That being said, for $40, I couldn't pass it up.

I enjoyed the original Splinter Cell on my Xbox, but I don't know if I liked it enough to buy the collection.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I'm picking Sly Trilogy up tomorrow myself. I hear they did a better job than prince of persia collection, which is good. Will skip the Splinter Cell HD collection though.

7. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I very much enjoyed the first 4 Splinter Cells that were released. Double Agent was much too easy though... I do want to pick up the collection to play them again, and I should pick up the Sly collection as well.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sly collection is great. Much better than the prince of persia collection (which felt rushed and just thrown together in a hurry).

Splinter Cell collection i'd be tempted if it was the Xbox Versions that were being HD'd - as it's the PS2 collection which had poorer shadowing, poorer effects (night vision, fog and mist effects) and textures over the xbox version - i'm just that less tempted.

Also as it's a ubi collection - much like Prince of Persia i'm sure the HD'ing of the package will be minimal. For example the water effects in Prince of Persia on the original xbox were very good for the time, the PS2 version is more like a viscous gloop - and of course it is the PS2 version we have HDized and that gloopiness is even more apparent with the bump in resolution.

9. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Darn, thought it might be Splinter Cell collection for 360. Nevermind.... I can still play them on my orig xbox just fine.