The smallest Micro SIM dongle/USB stick?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by champ01, Jan 28, 2011.

1. champ01, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011

champ01 Guest

I have a Vodafone Micro SIM for mobile internet but not a USB stick yet

The Vodafone USB stick is kinda big so I'm looking for something smaller.
    What is the smallest USB stick that can handle fast speeds? (my Vodafone contract can have a connection that should reach up to 28.8mb/s at max)

Is there something as small as the next picture?
    [​IMG]

2. weckart macrumors 68040

The T-Mobile E150/Huawei E1630 is about the smallest I have seen so far, but not nearly as small as that Elgato TV dongle, that requires an external aerial to function.

3. MacHamster68, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

there is a limit how small a usb mobile internet dongle can get because of all the electronics and aerial equipment that has to be inside and the sim takes up space too and there has to be a sim reader inside too , its for mobile internet so the sender ,receiver, aerial needs to be much better and bigger then your normal wifi with a couple hundred meter range max , so not a good idea to make it smaller because that would very likely today reduce the range or equally no good idea of making it smaller and sacrifice the speed , i mean you wont be happy about a dongle the size of the eyetv if you only get 0.2mbit and only if you are no further then 50 meters from the nearest sender, or if it would be possible today to get the up to 50mbit in such a small package the price might become astronomical , you certainly dont want to pay $5000 for a dongle :confused: and most modern laptops/netbooks already have mobile internet (3g) inside so no dongle needed anymore and thats possibly why not many care about size as long as it works on their older laptops