The "Smart Stay"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blackberryroid, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

The Smart Stay waits till you're asleep: the screen maintains a bright display as long as you're looking at it.

Sounds like a lovely feature. What do you think about this? And why do you think that Apple didn't put this on the iPhone?

2. shadrap macrumors 6502

I have the S3. It's a gimmick most of the time. If the lighting is no right it will not work.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Still, it's a novel idea. Something original and when implemented better, really puts the smart in smartphone. We constantly slam Samsung for only copying, but when they come up with new ideas, we argue then that it's a gimmick or unnecessary.

What's Flyover then?

Just sayin'.

4. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I have never had the screen turn off while I'm looking at it. Seriously. It's a 4 inch screen. What on earth would I be reading that would take me longer than 5 minutes (the time out setting I have set) to finish before I touched the screen to scroll or do something else?

I honestly can't see the point in this feature...

Similarly, I was surprised to see Samsung airing a comercial touting the "wave to take a screenshot" feature. How often does the average person take screen shots, and what is hard about a home button/power button press on the few occasions you need one?

----------

I think Flyover is gimmicky too...

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

How does that work? Is the camera looking at you? A sensor?

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

The camera takes photos go your face. It's a gimmick. I never use it either. I have a gesture set to swipe the screen down and have the screen turn off. Nothing beats that...

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Sounds like a battery killer.

No thanks.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should be done. :rolleyes:

9. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Not only that, they have the nerve to bash Siri and promote even more gimmicky things like this. Oh, and remember that "feature comparison" ad they sent out to the newspapers? What the heck is "palm touch mute pause", and if they're just going to string random words out of the dictionary to name their features, why not choose better words than those?

If you're going to try to convince people that your competitor's headline features are useless gimmicks, maybe you shouldn't advertise your own device on features that are even less useful.

10. IntoTheLongGras, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

IntoTheLongGras macrumors newbie

Long time iPhone 4 user (3 years) who just got a Samsung Galaxy S4 because I lost my iPhone (or it was stolen) the other night. I just wanted to say that SmartStay is actually one of my favorite features. It allows me to set the screen timeout time to 15 seconds to save battery life (which is pretty average on S4, btw) and read without worrying about the screen shutting off. It also works at night while I'm in bed with the lights off, I suppose the light from the screen might be enough, or it also has some accelerometer input or something.

Granted, this feature would not be as useful on the iPhone as it has a smaller screen (not knocking iPhone, one of the things I dislike about the S4 is that it's too big.) and it requires one to scroll more frequently. But why would I need the screen on when I'm not looking at it? It just wastes battery life. I think this is something that would be great for the iPhone.

As for it killing the battery life, I haven't had the phone long enough to tell whether it does or not. I'm sure it drains some of the battery life, especially if you're reading quite a bit and have the screen timeout set to 15 seconds like I do.

Several news outlets are reporting that Apple has patented a smart stay like feature, so obviously they think it's cool enough to look into. Although I'm sure they have all sorts of ridiculous patents. At the end of the day I think it's a great feature for my purposes that it wouldn't hurt the iPhone to have.

Hope this helped!

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Um...I don't know if you noticed, but this thread is 1½ years old, and the OP is Banned.:D

12. IntoTheLongGras macrumors newbie

I googled "SmartStay for iPhone" and this came up. Just wanting to share the knowledge for anyone else who was curious and came across this thread.

13. XxLucyxX macrumors newbie