The Snow Leopard jump

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBH928, Apr 11, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello everyone,

I got a macbook 13 , 2.0GHZ , the non-firewire ones
    I decided that enough time has passed by that any bugs in SL are over and dealt with.

I bought the OS but now I am scared to install it.
    After 10.6.3 I still hear troubling stories, and I am not sure if I should update.
    My current system works fine.

Is it worth install the new OS? Does it add any difference to the experience?

I will do a clean install of the OS
    I made a copy of my HD on a partition in an external one using Carbon Copy Cloner.

When I do the migration of everything out of that partition,
    what things should I expect not to be copied over? Or will it be as if I did just an upgrade install?

because I have software like photoshop and Microsoft Office, will I lose those?

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You can scan your drive for apps that are or not compatible with Snow Leopard.

Scanner download

Here is a wiki list of apps that you can check

Link

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Thanx,
    but will compatible apps be transfered like iLife Suite for example?
    or ALL apps will be transfered?

4. celticpride678

All compatible apps will be transferred into your Applications folder. However, incompatible apps will be placed in a separate folder.

5. natewsmith macrumors regular

Go for it! I was the first person to get it when it came out at Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, CA and I've never EVER had a problem with it. I love Snow Leopard even more than Leopard.

I updated right away to 10.6.3 and haven't had a problem yet.

If you update and don't do a CLEAN install all that is done is it rewrites your home folder. All your programs and files will be there. What will happen though is when you try and open one you will get an alert saying that it can't open and needs to update.

That's what happened to me. So what I did was did a clean install and just downloaded the programs again.