The software bundles Apple used to include with the iMac/Performa

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Karvel, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

What were the different software bundles that Apple included with the iMac/Performa lines?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

No, now we get iLife, iChat, Photobooth, Frontrow, DVD player (and an actual DVD drive), iCal, Address book, Safari, Mail and the software you mention.

I have a fully functional iMac G3, complete with a 6 GB hard drive and the full 6MB of video RAM. If you want to trade, let me know.

If you miss Bugdom, go here.

3. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Haha yes I know, I'm not complaining, just curious as to how the non-Apple parts of the iMac software bundle line-up has changed since the iMac's inception !! Sorry I should've worded it less hyperbolic.

And no I don't want to trade ;)

4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I got The Daedalus Encounter and Full Throttle on my Performa 630. Those were good days. I know it's not an iMac but the software bundles were much better.

5. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Ooooh!! My Power Macintosh 5400/180 (System 7.5.3) came with the following;

Full Throttle
    Apple Magic Collection* (Lion King Animated Storybook, Pocahontas Animated Storybook, Hunchback of Notre Dam Screensaver)
    Sammy's Science House (It was quite fun actually ;))
    Thinkin' Things 3
    Power Pete
    Descent
    DK Human Body
    and probably a few things more...

* A brief Google search shows me that there are actually different versions of the Apple Magic Collection!

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Oh man, retro! I remember those too! Thinkin' Things 3 had the weird drawing stuff right? And little games? Power Pete was alright, I played a bit of that and I'm not sure I ever delved into the DK Human Body one.

7. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Aye Thinkin' Things 3 had loads of games in it, I'm sure I remember one game which had a purple octopus and you had to like sell trumpets and tyres to people in China and Iceland and places :D

edit: [​IMG]

ftw!

I thought Power Pete was kinda weird actually!

8. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I got Marble Blast Gold on my iMac G5 and it is easily the best game ever and i still play it. My mates who buy new macs always ask me if they can put Marble Blast on their's....its pretty funny.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I didn't take it as a complaint but I thought it was worth pointing out some of the ways things improve. I also got Appleworks, which I still use. It would be nice to see a version of that for OSX. However, I mis-posted the units on the VRAM: that should be 6K.

10. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Well yes I agree. I remember being 10 or 11 when I first got the Power Mac 5400/180 and being entranced by Full Throttle and the Grolier Encyclopedia and Thinkin' Things 3 etc.; clearly kids are now equally entranced by iMovie and GarageBand and PhotoBooth, but perhaps with less "educational" value. It's just how times change, though - I mean, I used to copy and paste my History homework from Encarta (though I used the Grolier Encyclopedia usually), now kids just do it off Wikipedia :D

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

That's a fair point. The new Apple creative apps are a decent introduction and at least people use them creatively.

I'd like to see Apple supply the odd game free with Macs; Defcon or an Ambrosia game or two.