The solution to my network problems ... it's not what you think ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, Mar 10, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

"Mac Hell" has come to and end ... tried the Apple way ... I'll never understand it ... twice the money for a computer and a 100 times the hassle, why?

You take an LG P300 for example, a $1300 notebook, with 3 usb ports, hdmi, 2.4 ghz processor, 4gb ram, 256 dedicated video, EASILY connects to networks, dvd burner included, 7 in 1 card reader, long long battery life, excellent screen and full keyboard, very light weight ...

Now take the MacBook Air at $2500, twice as much money, NO hmdi, no easy networking to windows pc's, (Apple Experts tech support told me can be a problem seeing windows machines on a network...)plus the MBA has only 1 usb port, 1.8 ghz processor versus 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram versus 4 gb ddr ram ... and did I mention it costs TWICE AS MUCH.... form over function for mac fans I guess...

is it all because of OS X ? ... no I can't believe that anymore... vista and now '7' on the horizon ... they're too close to warrant Apples OUTRAGEOUS prices ... and poor spec's...

Think about it, twice the money for way way way less spec's then add a display to the mix ... my LG plugs into my HP monitor via HDMI in an instant, no adapters, no need to buy a $999 ACD display to get a usb hub, LOL, the 24" HP monitor I have is high def, has 4 usb ports so it's a hub too but cost only $300... side by side they look equally good for sure .. why does Apple have to charge THREE TIMES the money ?? ... because it has special cables to attach to the poorly ported MacBook - unreal when you think about it ... sucks the money right out of your pockets and you get LESS.

Slam away at me if you like ... I have a right to post my comments, $4,000 of my hard earned money tied up in the MBA and ACD etc ... for what? Grief! .... Grief when trying to find pc's on a network, same when hooking up a TV or monitor, god forbid Apple ever decided to be compatible with ports in the real world ....

They could of done soooooo much better, instead you pay double for half as much and then when you realize it's a windows world you wake up ... you realize it's incompatibility, learning curves and lots of extra costs running to the stores to buy adapters that Apple isn't even smart enough to get in the stores yet, so you still can't hook up to a tv via hdmi without two cables and for the adapters that are available, priced from $29 to $59 ... these things cost less than a dollar to make in China !!!!

Apple is a cash cow and a road to incompatibility issues and grief and you'll get an over priced under spec'd computer and Apple fans some how think they're ahead of the game.

Sure, Apple is a rebel company, but it's going for all out profit and not paying enough attention to what the end consumer wants and needs, they could of done much better.

Time to box up and return all this apple stuff ... time for a new LG P310 computer for me tomorrow ... then I can come home, turn it on, join the network no problem, plug and play into any TV or monitor I own, I can plug in two usb sticks even three if i want to move files, same with SD cards, I am a FOOL for not seeing this sooner, the price I pay now is going the huge pain in the butt returning everything ...

Lesson learned, NO apple for me, why would I, why would anyone, LOL !

:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

More to the point, why would you post a thread about the fact that you didn't buy an Apple on an Apple forum? Obviously, the people here disagree with you. If you're looking for affirmation, you won't find it here. Go play with your little Windows friends.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This has nothing to do with Apple, or a MBA, or HDMI, or USB ports, or networking, or "form over function," or OS X, or anything else you talked about.

You bought the wrong computer. Simple as that.

4. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

You only just realised? My friend, as much as I like Apple products, I'll be the first one to say that I'm getting less fond of the company. From a business point of view, they're doing really well, because selling inferior products for high prices - and actually succeeding - is pretty amazing. I just think they're going too far, focusing too much on everything being very thin, and sacrificing a lot at the same time. They also manage to turn around their faults into further sources of income, and as I said before, I admire their ability to do that so well, but at the same time I start to hate them more.

As cliché as it is, it feels like Apple has become the new Microsoft.

You are right though, about the cables, etc, its madness. As I said in another thread, I am seriously considering a Windows laptop next time. I do not mind Vista that much (although I would prefer OS X) but frankly, I can save myself over £1000 by getting a Windows laptop.

Even though I think your post was somewhat random, I hate to admit that I agree with most of it.

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

we all live in the real world, uses for these ports are common place who wouldn't want them and at half the price ....

who is this computer, and these problems and these higher costs for? you're right, obviously not for me ....

I wanted to keep the air ... tried everything to make it work including a few hours with tech support, even considered keeping it and loading windows on the majority of the drive ... but when you can't simply see shared pc's on a network and no one can help not even an Apple Network Expert you get frustrated... I see my wife typing on her LG, connected to all pcs' and my mac no problem, all the extra ports, sd card reader, faster machine, half the price, you're right, I did start wondering, and I do believe I have snapped out of what I call the "Apple Daze" ...

Back to reality for me, again I can buy an LG half the price, have enough money over to buy a fairly large screen tv if I wanted, so consider that free, and think about the ports all around the LG that are easily compatible with the electronics we own ... yea, I did finally wake up ... better sooner than later, can't wait for my LG!!!!

I posted here to voice my opinion, I wish I was wrong, the MBA is a very cool machine super light/thin ssd drive but when it's known to sometimes not easily connect with windows pcs on some networks.... come'on Bill and Steve need to get along better....

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've never had any trouble networking with Windows PCs. Sorry to hear about your problems, but they're not exactly universal.

7. stomer macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you did indeed buy the wrong machine for your needs.

Apropos the networking issues, did you ask for help here? There are plenty of networking experts on this forum and Apple's own discussion forums.

Personally, I've never encountered any issues when connecting to shares on Windows machines, or Linux too for that matter.

8. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

After I made my post, I then noticed another topic he had made before, but in no disrespect to the original poster, he didn't seem to make it easy for the people who were trying to help.

As you've mentioned, there are plenty of experts here, but it just sounded like the OP had already given up, and just wanted to rant, which I can understand.

entatirg, you should take a look at the other topic, its still not resolved.

9. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

For whatever its worth...

10. belvdr macrumors 603

He came for help, we asked questions, and he vented a lot. However, there are still questions outstanding that I guess he didn't want to answer.

Best of luck to you and yours.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

if what you were saying was true noone would buy Apple computers, yet they do? are you saying im stupid for buying an Apple computer? because thats how your post comes across from my point of view.

Go and enjoy your LG P300
    [​IMG]

and i'll enjoy my Macbook Air

[​IMG]

12. belvdr macrumors 603

No, you're just plain dumb, regardless of your computer! ha ha :p

On topic, it is definitely a config issue, and the guy did call Apple support to try to correct the problem. It's a shame really.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple computers are far easier to network than Windows computers anyway so i think it may have been a user error in this particular case. I cant expect my grandma to turn on my Macbook Pro and start coding in Cocoa in XCode, and this guy cant expect to get a Mac and do technical things like advanced networking within 24 hours.

Theres no way "Apple Experts tech support told me can be a problem seeing windows machines on a network...)" actually happened. I'm calling complete BS on that one.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've never had trouble networking Macs and PC's, either.

Sounds to me like a classic case of PEBKAC!!

15. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I'll bet you did not factor in the cost of antivirus, mal-ad-spy-ware as well as whatever the PC equivalent of all the iLife stuff is for your LG. I suppose you might say I'm in the "Apple daze" or whatever, but I would take any computer than ran OS X no matter what it looked like. So yes you're paying a lot for a dependable operating system.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm... he's comparing a notebook to an ultra portable device. Of course it's going to be worse in performance. The MBA (MacBook Air) is for portability not for power. Take the Wii and PS3. PS3 has HD graphics, blu-ray, and other advanced features. The Wii doesn't have HD graphics nor blu-ray. Then why is the Wii outselling PS3 nearly 5:1 ratio? WHY??!?!?!? Because the Wii is aimed at a global and universal gaming market, not just hardcore losers in their moms basement. The Max is universal, built on top of UNIX which is the best OS in the world. Windows, or Winbloze, is based on a proprietary APIs and kernels. I'm not saying Macs are always better, which they aren't, but I'm saying you bought the wrong category of notebooks. Take the netbook, you can buy a Intel Core 2 Duo QUAD desktop for roughly the same price of $500. Then why are lots of ppl buying netbooks? Because they need portability.