The Sony Vegas equivalent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceboots06, Jun 27, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while,

I used to use Sony Vegas on my XP machine because Windows Movie Maker was garbage and I didn't really have money to pay for expensive, top of the line video editors which I couldn't even name. Now that I'm using a Mac I'm trying to find something similar. I opened up iMovie for a moment but it resembled a Windows Movie Maker sort of application to me. Would it be wise to invest in Final Cut? I'm not exactly sure what this is but I've seen people using it and it looks serious. Perhaps my quick glance at iMovie wasn't enough to capture all of what it can do?

Thanks in advance!

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Check out Final Cut Express... the lesser sibling of FC.
    Or... you can just do like me and keep running Vegas in Windows.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

If you're just editing home movies/youtube videos or generally casual videos, just use imovie. It's WAY better than movie maker. Final Cut is really for (semi)professional use.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

imvoe is far better than movie maker but i don't know if its on par w/ vegas because i have never used vegas. if ur into serious editings, then get FCE.

EDIT: unprocessed beat me to it.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Agreed. Final Cut Express is $150 in most retail spots. Hard to beat that price.

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah, I'm doing things at an amateur level in terms of video editing at the moment. I guess full blown Final Cut would be like giving someone a bowie knife to cut their steak with.

I'm actually doing that using unity in VM Ware. I just don't like having to wait periods of time when I'm dragging and dropping files between the virtual machine and OS X.

---

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm going to hit the books in terms of iMovie or check Final Cut Express out, which I didn't even know existed...

7. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i use final cut express for basic editing and find it perfect, sure if i was doing pro stuff or pro short films then i would run into limitations with final cut express in the way of features that apple has left out which are in final cut pro but for most there is plenty of functionality. We worked on final cut express for short films in my final year of school and there were some really excellent results from the class. If you need to do special colour correction or advanced editing then final cut studio would perform your every requirement (i think pixar even use it). I don't know if you can buy final cut pro separately