Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
shud I watch this show..Is it any good..i feel very bored nowadays and i need urgent dose of a tv series like lost,prison break etc..diff from its league not too general not too full of BS!!:D:D

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Yes! Sopranos was/is a great series. Just make sure you DON'T watch it on the network TV rerun channels like A&E or whoever it is that plays the reruns. They sanitize and edit way too much. Get the full unedited versions on DVD or HBO On-Demand (if it's still available).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sopranos is awesome. Some other TV shows to get on if you haven't already seen:

- The Walking Dead
- Dexter
- Breaking Bad
- The Killing
- Game Of Thrones

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
shud I watch this show..Is it any good..i feel very bored nowadays and i need urgent dose of a tv series like lost,prison break etc..diff from its league not too general not too full of BS!!:D:D

The Sopranos is an excellent series, well-scripted, well-acted, and well worth watching; it'll hold your interest over time, too.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.

It is largely character and dialogue driven rather than relying on a thriller/action type plot. Many people find it somewhat inaccessible.

I'd suggest Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Walking Dead, Game Of Thrones, Alias etc etc etc, should you have access to them.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The Sopranos is outstanding. I highly recommend it. As others have said, get the uncensored version. Breaking Bad is excellent too.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I watched The Sorpanos from beginning to end (all 86 episodes) in about three weeks. I couldn't wait to get home to watch more.
You will love it!

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
(1) Game of Thrones
(2) Breaking Bad
(3) Arrested Development
(4) The Wire
(5) Freaks and Geeks

That's how I'd go about it, anyway.

BEN779

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
The only show that can compare as far as quality and plot to the sopranos is breaking bad. If you like one you'll love the other.

BEN779

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
See the ones I listed above, and add into the mix Oz. So far I have Game of Thrones above Breaking Bad, that is until some future season disappoints me.

I've heard good things about sons of anarchy, I need to check that one out. I'll look into OZ, thanks for the suggestion.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
So far I have Game of Thrones above Breaking Bad, that is until some future season disappoints me.

I rate both highly but I wouldn't compare them because they are completely different genres. Breaking Bad has only a season or two left now?

Game Of Thrones I hope goes the way of Dexter, and stops using the book as a main reference for stories. It will avoid spoilers, and considering how long it takes the author to write a book, we'll end up waiting years and years for season 6 after 5 ends.

I imagine all the die hard fans of the books will hate that idea, but the TV show doesn't include many details from the first book anyway. Or so I've been told, I can't be arsed reading them!

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
I rate both highly but I wouldn't compare them because they are completely different genres. Breaking Bad has only a season or two left now?

Game Of Thrones I hope goes the way of Dexter, and stops using the book as a main reference for stories. It will avoid spoilers, and considering how long it takes the author to write a book, we'll end up waiting years and years for season 6 after 5 ends.

I imagine all the die hard fans of the books will hate that idea, but the TV show doesn't include many details from the first book anyway. Or so I've been told, I can't be arsed reading them!
Differing genres shouldn't affect the output of quality. There are objective qualities such as acting, dialogue, cinematography, musical score, plot development and drama you can go by to conclude which show you place higher on the scale than another.

I don't get this go the way of Dexter idea. Dexter, from the beginning, loosely followed the books. And Dexter has arguably been gutter material the last two seasons. So please, wherever GoT goes, it better not follow Dexter's route. The books were excellent, I see no reason for it not to follow them. GoT wouldn't be what it is if it didn't closely follow the books.

Your example really doesn't help your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.