The sound system on the 9.7 pro is sick.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richard371, Apr 9, 2016.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have a nice home theater and klipch sound system but man this this iPad sounds incredible.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

If I had an iPad Air 2 still, I would upgrade just for the speakers alone.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Although the speaker system is a big improvement on the iPad Air, it is hardly the amazing sound that certain people (including some professional reviewers) have suggested, so I think that it is unwise to use superlatives.

Hi-Fi it is not. It also lacks anything resembling a half decent bass.

If you are accustomed to a really decent Bluetooth speaker such as the B & W Zeppelin or even something much more modest such as the Bose Soundlink Mini or the UE Boom don't expect this to be a substitute.

Just my opinion of course. :)

4. Orton99 macrumors newbie

Coming from an iPad 4, I was blown away!

5. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

How is it compared to the iPP 12.9? That should have at least more bass....

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I believe that the 12.9 has better base, but then it would by reason of the size / sound chambers.

7. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I have a 9.7" and 12.9" pro (for now). I love listening to music through the speakers on the 12.9" – they're as good, if not better than the 12" MacBook speakers – but the 9.7" speakers are noticeably worse than both, so I use headphones instead.

With that said, I didn't come from an Air2, and I'm certain that the 9.7" speakers are a big improvement from those. It must just be a matter of perspective. If you're coming from better speakers, it'll sound bad, but if you're coming from worse speakers it'll sound better.

Also, the 9.7" vibrates way, way more than the 12.9" when the volume is loud.

(I may sound like I'm hating on the 9.7, but I prefer it overall more than the 12.9. In fact, I'm selling the 12.9!)

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Now you mention it, the speakers on the new MacBook are very impressive. Clear as a bell and well rounded too.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Even with the 9.7 you get good stereo separation.

10. theluggage macrumors 68030

They're certainly impressive for such a small device & really extend the use of the iPad as a portable 'radio' - but don't throw away your HiFi or headphones just yet.

11. Serban Suspended

since the beats acquisition , we got a great speakers into the smallest mac out there, we have great speakers into the both ipad pros. I guess they have to come with even greater speakers into both Macbook Pros thanks to more space

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I have a Sonos Play 5 network of speakers and the new iPad Pro is almost as good. It literally is the best speaker system ever built into a remarkably thin and light tablet device - and it's not even close. I rarely use Sonos anymore because I'm do delighted by the new iPad speakers.

13. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

My 12.9" iPad Pro can produce more volume than can my 2010 13" MacBook Pro.

14. Serban Suspended

yes, the ipad pro and 12" macbook has better speakers than both macbook air (11" and 13") and 13" Macbook Pro
    that i am guessing they will update the speakers too for both MBP at WWDC

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This is good to hear! Thanks op. One of my biggest gripes over the years with Apple stuff has been the lack of quality audio

16. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Might be overrating it a bit with the "sound system" moniker. [​IMG]

18. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I am so happy with the speakers, compared to my last iPad 4th gen with the single speaker at the bottom, or even my last MacBook 13" retina, the sound on this iPad Pro is amazing.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

And yet...in other threads, you say if Air2 owners don't need the pencil, there's little reason to upgrade to the Pro 9.7".

Not the first time, you've talked from both sides of your mouth. / roll eyes /

20. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

You mean like how people low on money try to justify upgrades, then end up returning products that they deem "not worth it"? As if the pressures of not having money had no influence on their decision?

Apparently I can't say that I like the new iPads speakers and have the opinion that if you're low on money you shouldn't upgrade from an air 2 at the same time. Now I know why politicians are so careful to pander to people. If people can't understand things in small digestible sound bites, they will think you're flip flopping when really, you can have multiple opinions simultaneously

Attached Files:

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

So what you really mean to say then is those cases where money may be tighter, upgrading from the air2 to the pro 9.7 may not be 'justifiable' or that the improvements of the pro model are less pronounced or something else?

I'm not trying to cute here or to trap you.

I just sometimes get the impression that you argue from both sides just to get more participation in threads.

22. Spacegray macrumors newbie

I think the speakers are much better than those of the Air 2. Also there is by far less virbration of the case.
    But there are two different types of speakers used on the small edges. Those on the home button side a larger than those on the power button side and they are in different position.
    So, if you hold the IPP in landscape mode with Homebutton on the left side, this side sounds a little louder than with the home button on the right side. The OS is so intelligent to switch the channel, but the (larger) speakers of the home button side are a little louder.