The Spartathalon - 152 mile race!!!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
5,555
5
American Riviera
ESPN link:

Run from Athens to Sparta, about 152 miles:

The Spartathlon is about five miles short of six consecutive marathons. The course is based on Herodotus' account of the Battle of Marathon in 490 B.C. Pheidippides, an Athenian messenger, was sent to summon troop reinforcements against the invading Persians and arrived in Sparta "one day later."

In 1982, British Royal Air Force officer John Foden tested the ancient tale and finished the course in 36 hours, laying the groundwork for the annual race.

To qualify for this event, participants must have finished a 62-mile race in less than 10½ hours, completed a 125-mile race or finished or reached a certain checkpoint in a previous Spartathlon.
So, who's ready to start training with me?
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,347
1
gauchogolfer said:
ESPN link:

Run from Athens to Sparta, about 152 miles:



So, who's ready to start training with me?
I've only run one ultra but it was only an 80K (50 miler). It sounds absurd, but the ultras aren't as bad (sound knees and conditioning, of course included) as a marathon, since there's usually a slower overall pace. Winner in this ran at about an 8:41 mile pace.
 

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
124
0
Just a simple ING NYC Marathon will be quite enough for me, thanks :)

To be honest, I don't get the whole point of utlras :confused:
1. The "normal" marathon is big enough vhallenge to test oneself
and
2. It goes through "the wall". So there is no point in going further, nothings gonna happen there :)
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
bemylover said:
Just a simple ING NYC Marathon will be quite enough for me, thanks :)

To be honest, I don't get the whole point of utlras :confused:
1. The "normal" marathon is big enough vhallenge to test oneself
and
2. It goes through "the wall". So there is no point in going further, nothings gonna happen there :)
That's a great race - done two of them, and despite it being blazing hot and miserable, I still had a great time. I can't believe I made the lottery two years in a row.

Great, great race.
 

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
124
0
iGary said:
That's a great race - done two of them, and despite it being blazing hot and miserable, I still had a great time. I can't believe I made the lottery two years in a row.

Great, great race.
wow, are you lucky :)

I lost lottery for this year and I really, really hope to win for the next one :eek: I don't live in NYC right now, so I can't do the 9 qualifying runs to get guaranteed entry; and to get there through charity organizations one has to pay $2000 :eek:
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,744
4,024
Republic of Ukistan
The origin of this story is complete rubbish. Pheidippides allegedly ran from the Plain of Marathon to Athens, to bring the good news of victory against the Persians, not to Sparta to summon reinforcements. It's 26 miles from Marathon to Athens. The story wasn't recorded until 700 years later, so it's probably apocryphal anyway. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,347
1
skunk said:
The origin of this story is complete rubbish. Pheidippides allegedly ran from the Plain of Marathon to Athens, to bring the good news of victory against the Persians, not to Sparta to summon reinforcements. It's 26 miles from Marathon to Athens. The story wasn't recorded until 700 years later, so it's probably apocryphal anyway. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
Browning probably writes about it, best:
"So, when Persia was dust, all cried, "To Acropolis!
Run, Pheidippides, one race more! the meed is thy due!
Athens is saved, thank Pan, go shout!" He flung down his shield
Ran like fire once more: and the space 'twixt the fennel-field
And Athens was stubble again, a field which a fire runs through,
Till in he broke: "Rejoice, we conquer!" Like wine through clay,
Joy in his blood bursting his heart, he died - the bliss!"
He only ran a 34.5Km (21.4 miler), and died on the spot. Must have gone out too fast. It happens every time. :D
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
bemylover said:
wow, are you lucky :)

I lost lottery for this year and I really, really hope to win for the next one :eek: I don't live in NYC right now, so I can't do the 9 qualifying runs to get guaranteed entry; and to get there through charity organizations one has to pay $2000 :eek:
I did the AIDS Marathon Charity to get into my first - the Marine Corps.

Totally addictive. I miss it a lot - hope to get back into one of these days. A great way to test yourself and have a lot of fun. Keep trying - the race is totally worth it.

Chicago is awesome, too.
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,347
1
iGary said:
I did the AIDS Marathon Charity to get into my first - the Marine Corps.

Totally addictive. I miss it a lot - hope to get back into one of these days. A great way to test yourself and have a lot of fun. Keep trying - the race is totally worth it.

Chicago is awesome, too.
Gary, were you ever able to recupe from the surgery, or is the back/knee thing still plaguing you? I understand the positive addiction, and just to be able to get out and move is reward enough.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
xsedrinam said:
Gary, were you ever able to recupe from the surgery, or is the back/knee thing still plaguing you? I understand the positive addiction, and just to be able to get out and move is reward enough.
I've probably recovered as much as I can from the back surgery in September of last year. Problem is, I haven't been able to run in a year, and I'm back to square one, which is daunting *remembers first year of training.* My back gets stiff and sore every day, but it's not so bad I can't start jogging and biking again.

I've also had an at home desk job sitting on my ass for a year and gained 30 pounds.

Long story short, I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back out there slowly, lose some weight and build back up to where I was.

Everyone keeps telling me "Oh, you'll never run another marathon." (Doctors, physical therapists, my significant other.) I don't give up so easy. Marathoning is easily the most enjoyable thing I've ever done in my life and I miss it badly. I know if I get back down to 185, I'd have NO issues running 6-8 marathons a year again.


*eats pizza* :p

Sorry for the long rant. :eek:
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,347
1
iGary said:
I don't give up so easy. Marathoning is easily the most enjoyable thing I've ever done in my life and I miss it badly. I know if I get back down to 185, I'd have NO issues running 6-8 marathons a year again.


*eats pizza* :p
Okay, here's a motivation reminder for the runner in you :) That is all.
 

Attachments

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,210
1,107
xsedrinam said:
Okay, here's a motivation reminder for the runner in you :) That is all.
Best. Movie. Ever.

I can watch that one all day...

"He's gonna lead you down the path of righteousness; I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!"
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
i read about the North Pole marathon in one of my dad's running magazines - you run in circles around the North Pole for 26.2 miles and then fly back to Norway. it costs something like $10,000.