The Spirit [movie]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mysterytramp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Saw this last night, and it was pretty good. The plot didn't match my memory of Spirit comics from when I read them 20 years ago (I really wish the female lead was P'Gell). Eisner was a master of irony and subtlety. Not much here is subtle, which is probably the most ironic thing about the movie.

Every scene is over-stylized -- like Frank Miller's Sin City and 300 -- to the point of distraction. And Samuel L. Jackson is over the top the whole movie. Jackson does that well, and it is a comic book movie, so it fits in. But there's a scene when he and Scarlett Johansson are in Nazi garb that didn't click.

There are worse ways to spend 100 minutes. Just sit back and watch the pretty colors.

mt

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The previews have done nothing for me
    I want to like it, but... meh

I don't think I will see it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Comic book-to-screen movies are basically all the same.. at least the formula is always the same.

..and I don't care for Sam Jackson.

I'll pass.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I loved Sin City and 300, so I was really looking forward to The Spirit, but now I'm not so sure, firstly because I noticed it's rated 12A, and secondly because the Metacritic average is 30 out of 100. :(

5. chrisyc macrumors newbie

I saw The Spirit last weekend. I thought it was awful! The style/design of the movie was pretty cool, but I thought many parts of it didn't work with the movie and just made it look cheesier.

6. Scuall macrumors newbie

Just got back from it, movie stunk so bad I almost fell asleep. Other than seeing the perfection that is Eva Mendes bum, I would not recommend it to anyone.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, but the previews make this movie look really stupid. I think I'll save my money.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit