The "Starbucks" Stereotype

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flipster, Jul 10, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

Well, I seem to see this everywhere. When people find out that you use a Mac, they instantly think that your stupid, can't use a computer, and have no concept of internal hardware.

You also get the "Macs are so overpriced!, My mouse has two buttons, Macs are under powered." It get's quite annoying. I actually switched from Windows to Mac, and I will never go back. This is coming from someone who follows BGR, Engadget, and numerous other tech sites. I can build my own computer, and I have a vast library of knowledge when it comes to electronics, and phones. In other words, I know what I'm doing...but...as soon as people here I'm using a Mac, well...this picture sums it up quite good. People also throw comments out like "Go bring that thing into a Starbucks and write your novel", etc. Just stupid. What do you guys think about it?

[​IMG]

Note: This thread was not directed towards Windows users, or any specific type of user. Just the general population. I use both Windows and Mac.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

In the coffee shops in Toronto the majority of folks use MacBooks except Tim Hortons (rare to see anyone using much more than a mobile phone or texting).

The MacBooks are also notable for actually running on battery power.

4. avro707 macrumors 6502a

I'm one of those who migrated from a PC that I built myself to a Mac. Mac is just easier and someone else can support it if something goes wrong. :)

That's why I use one of those.

I've never been hit with the Starbucks stereotype, as there are no longer that many around where I live or work - plus I don't use Apple laptop computers (unless I borrow one from work).

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Around here the Starbucks stereotype is a latte sipping hipster WITH a MacBook Pro and an iPad. Hardly ever see any PC laptops in Starbucks; but I agree, I hate it when PC fanboys hate on me for using a Mac. I'm like you in that I'm very handy with PC's but I'd much rather use a Mac.

6. avro707, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

avro707 macrumors 6502a

Indeed, they just work - without any fuss and bother. :) I do a hell of a lot of Flight Simulator X addon paint-schemes for various planes, and all of those I paint in Mac OS X, rather than windows.

If only Nvidia's DDS plugin was made for Photoshop CS5 x64 Mac, I'd be all set to cut out the final painful conversion step from PSD to DDS in Windows 7 (have to use Photoshop CS5 x32 only for that).

Around here in the coffee shops, you tend to see people with blackberrys, iPhones and normal PC laptops. (or huge folios bulging with paperwork).

7. aery macrumors member

aery

Yeah, I have never seen anyone using a laptop in Timmie's, but I don't go there too often either. They have Wi-Fi?

When I was in Toronto for the Rammstein show in May I went to a Starbucks and sure enough someone was sitting there with a MacBook Pro. haha. They looked to be working, some sort of design work as he was drawing something with a tablet. And this was the tiny little Starbucks just beside the ACC.

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Earlier at Starbucks, I stumbled upon a network named 'iPhonesSuck'. I then proceeded to slowly put my iPhone away. Phew! :cool:

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Wimp! Lol. :D

10. blueroom, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nice little Starbucks there with working WiFi, also a Starbucks in the Longos right beside the ACC with non working WiFi.

Working WiFi at coffee shops here in Toronto is 50/50.

Turn on the iPhone 4 Hotspot on "And Roid"

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

does anyone care? when i find out someone is using a gadget, i haven't really got much to say. good on them for getting out of the house and doing something today. i love macs. i love windows. i love computers. it's all good.

my main complaint about starbucks is that they seem to shun sunlight and usually have a serious shortage of padded seating. yeah. the wood chairs are fine for an hour. after several hours, though, it's not fun anymore. i usually end up at other coffee shops that make better use of the light, have less expensive coffee, and appreciate the benefits of cushy seating. starbucks gets my business in large part just because it is convenient and is guaranteed not to have smoking (japan).

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Starbucks stereotype is that people who go to Starbucks just want to be seen drinking coffee at a Starbucks, even if the coffee is bad.

I don't see Macs the same way. I use them because they're good. I'm not using them because they're crap, but also cool at the moment.

IMO, the reason to go to Starbucks in North America is the free WiFi. I go to Etarbucks to get a regular brewed coffee, which they don't really like in Australia. If I want an espresso coffee, I go to one of the 30 local cafés within 10 minutes walk from my house (the area is quite trendy, admittedly). They have old couches and lounge chairs, coffee, beers and ciders, great music, and a genuinely relaxed ambience.

13. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ehh, let me clarify. I didn't exactly mean that I go to Starbucks with my Macbook, I just meant that's how most users would classify us Mac users once they find out that we use them. In fact, I've never been to a Starbucks in my life, I live in Boston, so it's all Dunkin' around here baby :D. I just meant the generalized stereotype, you know, the hipster, the novel writer, or the old people that don't understand how to use a computer. All these. :p

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That can't be good for the waistline. I'm glad I live nowhere near a Krispy Kreme.

The reason I love my Mac is when I turn it on it works until I shut it down; without heating up the house in the process.

15. DreamscapeRuins, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

Hahaha. That little chart is great.

However, I have to admit that, when I see people sneering at me for using my mac while they're pecking around on there "totally awesome Dell that has a cool interchange-able pop off casing", I judge them right back. I'm an IT major. I have also built my own computer before. So, I know more than most of those little snobs anyways.

But on the same note, when I see someone in class using a Mac, I judge them too. Except in a good way. I always have, even before I purchased my first Mac.

Starbucks is one of my favorite places to hang out, though. So I may fall into this category somehow.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I can't stand the snobs who go into starbuck's with their macbooks. I think they need to spend more time getting a job and spend less time using my tax money to buy expensive computers and overpriced coffee.

And yes, I seriously think that. There is no way all of them who go to my local starbucks can spend that much time trying to look superior in their overpriced coffee shop with their expensive macbook and have a job. No chance. Just bloody students relying on my money. It irritates the hell out of me.

17. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Indeed... made me laugh...

I am definitely in the 18% group

I never understood the other fields...

plus we don't have Starbucks.. here we have master baristas make coffee... :)

18. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im 6'2 and I weigh 140 pounds. Im not worried about my waistline, haha ;). Dunkin' Donuts coffee is amazzinnggg

19. robwormald macrumors member

:confused: i spend an inordinate amount of time at starbucks and the like. i'm a web and iOS developer, so I bring my macbook with me all the time and work at starbucks.

maybe it's just me, but I stopped being concerned with all this BS when I left high school. WGAF.

20. iphonepiephone, Jul 11, 2011

iphonepiephone macrumors regular

This is indeed a very silly thread. I like coffee, and I love Macs, ergo it makes sense for me to visit my local "Costa" once a week, and do whatever I enjoy, using their WiFi. I spend most of my time working from home... on a Windows 7 PC, which I also love.

The way others see me? I could care a lot, lot less, if the sheeple cannot see past some 6ft 5in dude with long hair and a Mac, then they have deeper problems than me and my employer's Mac! :D

Why do people bring this crap up? Noone even cares - it's a non-issue what random members of the population think of one's appearance, whereabouts or what computer they use. Maybe if a LOT of Mac & PC users were not so high and mighty about the whole "PC vs Mac" tired, stale old debacle, this would be LESS of an issue.

Really, why did you start this thread?

How we laugh! :D

PS: I also love Ubuntu and Adobe, as I produce & repair stuff, instead of bickering and fannying about pondering the finer details of the whys and wherefores of other people analysing strangers, and forming encapsulated stereotypes.

Someone I know very well, and whom used to employ me, once said "All you Mac users think you're so superior, that is why people hate Macs" ... WTF?! :D :p ROFLMAO!

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Please, this is deep, when compared to waloshin's threads.

22. Melrose, Jul 11, 2011

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I work with Mac users, and any of my friends that care about computers for anything more than the most basic of Granny-level tasks use a Mac. I've been blessed also with knowing several Windows folks who want to get a Mac but don't want to spend the extra money for a higher quality machine (eg, they'd rather spend $200 for a POS than buy a low-end Mac).

I've met very few Windows users who are hard-core enough to try and argue why Windows PCs are superior. While I never start the argument, I usually win. :D

The whole Macs are overpriced/underpowered/made for novices/mind controlled by Steve Jobs are weak arguments at best.

...or maybe they're just people who are using their laptops at Starbucks. Gee wouldn't that be a conspiracy.