The startup sound disappeared on my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spoiled, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Spoiled macrumors member

Spoiled

All the sudden there's no startup sound on my late 2012 iMac. Have I clicked something by misstake? Not that it matters, but I don't want my brand new computer failing already...

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Your startup sound is linked to your system volume. If your volume is muted in OS X, your startup chime won't sound.

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The startup sound is NOT linked to your system volume. It is completely independent and can not be changed in Preferences. Unless there is shortcut that I am unaware of, the only way to mute the startup chime is to dig into Terminal, or use any number of apps that adjust system properties.

Here is a tutorial on how to turn it off. Perhaps you can restore it to the default setting by following the tutorial.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/04/disable-mac-boot-chime/

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Mine has always been linked to my system volume. If I hit mute and then restart, the sound is muted. However, I usually have my iMac's audio going out through an Optical cable to my receiver. In this situation, it uses the last setting for the internal speakers (i.e., whatever it was before I plugged in the optical cable). For me to update this, I have to unplug the optical cable and then adjust audio as needed.

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Sounds like the analog to optical converter is downstream of settings that are adjusted in Preferences, whereas the onboard sound is upstream.

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

Same in my late 2011 imac with ML. I can turn up or down the startup chime with system preferences volume. What ever the setting was when you shut down is what it will be when you start up. If the mute button is checked, chime is muted. If you attach external speakers, you have to unplug them from the imac, then set the volume lower, then plug the external speakers back in. The startup volume you set will hold for the chime.

It was also this way in my late 2009 imac.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Resettiing the PRAM always seems to restore my Mac startup-chime to full ear-splitting volume in addition to fixing the problem I am after. I don't know how the volume of the chime gets reduced with normal usage of the computer.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My iMac 2012 is same. If volume is down when I shut it off, it comes on low. If muted, then no sound. If high, then loud on start up.

9. WilliamG, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

WilliamG macrumors 604

The startup chime IS linked to your system volume. Good grief go try it yourself. Set the volume in OS X (not the login screen) to max, and then reboot. Then do the same thing and set the volume to 3 bars or 4 bars, and then reboot.

So again, the startup chime is linked to your system volume. If you reboot with your volume set to anything but MUTED, you will hear a chime. If you mute your system before rebooting, then the system won't chime.

That link you posted and Terminal command did not work for me at all on my 2012 iMac running 10.8.2. The chime is still directly linked to system volume.

----------

It doesn't. Resetting PRAM resets the volume of the chime on ONLY that next boot to max for some reason. When you reboot the next time, chances are you didn't reboot with your volume set to max, so the chime is much quieter.

10. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Good grief I DID try it for myself, and on my 2008 iMac the startup chime volume is completely unaffected by the volume in my system preferences, the volume as set by the keyboard volume keys, and still sounds as the same level whether it's been muted or not. Good grief, maybe different hardware acts differently!

11. WilliamG, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

WilliamG macrumors 604

OK, well if you noticed, the original post refers to a 2012 iMac. I know for a fact that every iMac since at least 2009 the chime is linked to the system volume. I assumed that since you were replying to the post of someone with a 2012 iMac that you'd at least have the same hardware before replying. ;)

Apparently not. :p

Again, to the original post, and anyone with a recent iMac, the chime is linked to your system volume. So just mute your iMac before you shut down.