Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDLwfhiG3s

go to a minute in the video, he starts yapping about dual cores and how "apple still uses dual cores"

I was cracking up actually when i seen this, i laughed at just how wrong he was but still funny, I just had to post this, this guys voice is hilarious and keeps yapping about dual cores

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That's one of the things which irritate me - sheer ignorance. Anandtech has already debunked the myth of "more cores = better performance" and Android fanboys still spout it like it's gospel. :(

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
That's one of the things which irritate me - sheer ignorance. Anandtech has already debunked the myth of "more cores = better performance" and Android fanboys still spout it like it's gospel. :(

more cores does not mean really anything at all, its all about single core performance and IPC that matters and counts, most mobile apps are not heavily multithreaded at all

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2014
At this point, who cares? Let idiots think whatever they want to. It's not worth your time to argue with them really. Continue enjoying your faster, smoother phone.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDLwfhiG3s

go to a minute in the video, he starts yapping about dual cores and how "apple still uses dual cores"

I was cracking up actually when i seen this, i laughed at just how wrong he was but still funny, I just had to post this, this guys voice is hilarious and keeps yapping about dual cores

Unfortunately, "more is better" tends to apply in many instances so the narrative of 4 cores > 2 cores makes "logical" sense to many. Unless someone understands how operations are managed across a multicore platform (for ex), more is better. It doesn't matter how incorrect it may be. This guy is just playing along with a popular narrative.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Unfortunately, "more is better" tends to apply in many instances so the narrative of 4 cores > 2 cores makes "logical" sense to many. Unless someone understands how operations are managed across a multicore platform (for ex), more is better. It doesn't matter how incorrect it may be. This guy is just playing along with a popular narrative.
For ios more cores make no difference since ios is running one active app most of the time. But for Android it makes quite a difference due to the more advanced cooperative and intent based multi tasking which are not available for iPhone.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
For ios more cores make no difference since ios is running one active app most of the time. But for Android it makes quite a difference due to the more advanced cooperative and intent based multi tasking which are not available for iPhone.

and for the record, you said I was lying when I said the 6 Plus almost gets double the gaming battery life of the Note 4? I never discredit Anandtech, he is one of the best in the tech industry using objective technical analysis on gadgets and everything. The Note 4 gets higher battery life on GFXBench battery test from Anandtech yes, but that is not using Apple Metal, in which gives the Plus a serious advantage(boosts frame rate, longer battery life, GPU runs at maximum performance for even longer without throttling)

I am able to play Vainglory (MOBA online game) on my 6 Plus at 65% brightness on wi-fi from 100-0% easily over 4 hours of on screen time(and not to mention game looks incredibly good actually)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Same thing was said when Android had dual core and iOS devices had one. And one day there will be a thread about how Apples use of a quad core is perfect and octo core is too much.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iPad Air 2 is triple core and is much more powerful than any other iOS device, more cores wouldn't really hurt.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
and for the record, you said I was lying when I said the 6 Plus almost gets double the gaming battery life of the Note 4? I never discredit Anandtech, he is one of the best in the tech industry using objective technical analysis on gadgets and everything. The Note 4 gets higher battery life on GFXBench battery test from Anandtech yes, but that is not using Apple Metal, in which gives the Plus a serious advantage(boosts frame rate, longer battery life, GPU runs at maximum performance for even longer without throttling)

I am able to play Vainglory (MOBA online game) on my 6 Plus at 65% brightness on wi-fi from 100-0% easily over 4 hours of on screen time(and not to mention game looks incredibly good actually)
Like always you just made stuff up based on what you want to believe. Metal is nothing more than apple trying to make proprietary everything on its platform and to replace openGL.

You have been wrong about your bs "twice battery" assertion and you are also definitely wrong here too.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
iPad Air 2 is triple core and is much more powerful than any other iOS device, more cores wouldn't really hurt.

Same thing was said when Android had dual core and iOS devices had one. And one day there will be a thread about how Apples use of a quad core is perfect and octo core is too much.

The more significant boost on the iPad Air 2 is the GPU. Right now, there aren't many mobile applications that can make great use of multiple cores. Dual core is beneficial since the OS can use one of the cores while an active app uses the other. Perhaps Android can make somewhat better use of a 3rd and 4th core since it permits more multitasking by third party applications, but that's at the expense of battery life. If Apple can match or exceed the performance of quad-core processors running at higher clock speeds with a lower speed dual-core, it's better given the current state of mobile applications and technology.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Like always you just made stuff up based on what you want to believe. Metal is nothing more than apple trying to make proprietary everything on its platform and to replace openGL.

You have been wrong about your bs "twice battery" assertion and you are also definitely wrong here too.

Apple Metal gets rid of the OpenGL driver overhead and all the bloatware driver overhead and provides lower level access to the hardware , (like AMD Mantle) which means more efficient use of the CPU/GPU and the most utilization out the hardware and not using vendor software (openGL, etc)

Vainglory is a very graphically intensive looking game and utilizes Apple Metal and 64 bit also(ARMv8) and playing online on wi-fi drains the battery even more, you can play for easily over 4 hours with your brightness at a respectable level

How exactly am I wrong..? The Note 4 does not get over 4 hours of on screen time when playing a game, playing a Apple Metal game , the battery lasts quite a long time when playing

The fact that you dont even know what Apple Metal is or the technicality behind it means you probably just shouldnt speak on this matter

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Apple Metal gets rid of the OpenGL driver overhead and all the bloatware driver overhead and provides lower level access to the hardware , (like AMD Mantle)

The fact that you dont even know what Apple Metal is or the technicality behind it means you probably just shouldnt speak on this matter
Whatever. Bottomline is you have no proof that this can give 2x the battery life to games. So you are still making stuff up.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Whatever. Bottomline is you have no proof that this can give 2x the battery life to games. So you are still making stuff up.

Im overexaggerating a bit by when I say 2X, but from experience, playing a game like Vainglory on Wi-Fi, multiplayer games online with my brightness at 60%, i literally have been able to play for over 4 hours and a half until my 6 Plus died, (on a flight) I bet it I was playing offline on Airplane Mode I would of got even more run. So the Note 4 gets roughly on average 3 and a half hours of gaming or so, and the 6 Plus can get over a hour and a half extra of gaming depending on the type of game and if your playing online

----------

The more significant boost on the iPad Air 2 is the GPU. Right now, there aren't many mobile applications that can make great use of multiple cores. Dual core is beneficial since the OS can use one of the cores while an active app uses the other. Perhaps Android can make somewhat better use of a 3rd and 4th core since it permits more multitasking by third party applications, but that's at the expense of battery life. If Apple can match or exceed the performance of quad-core processors running at higher clock speeds with a lower speed dual-core, it's better given the current state of mobile applications and technology.

Apples choice of going with a 3rd core makes a ton of sense and really in essence, would be and will be alot easier for developers to be able to utilize all the cores in a iOS setting then persay Android, since developers on iOS are not dealing with 10 different quad core SoC's and a few different octo cores,etc , deveoping and optimizing their app to all these SoC's employed in Android devices

Apple is focusing on strong single core performance and IPC, and ever slowly but (surely) making its transition to quad core design eventually (who knows honestly, Apple might honestly even make the A9 quad core finally next year on a 14nm node)

Im thinking the 6S will have a tri-core 14nm CPU with 2GB of RAM. a new/better architecture based on ARMv8.1 on a 14nm node with a 3rd core and slight clock bump again (probably 1.4 ghz to 1.5 ghz per core) and that would give it it's 2x cpu gain Apple usually claims every year(and delivers on those claims)

Its either that, or Apple is going to basically double the cores in the A9 on a 14nm node with 2 gb of RAM with some slight architectural tweaks again and obviously better ISP/other functions (4 "enhanced cyclone" cores at 1.5 ghz)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think people who make this conparison are those that have never used an Apple device. Once you use an iPhone/iPad you realise that specs mean nothing in relation to iOS vs android.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.