The store is down

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by designgeek, Apr 18, 2010.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

ZOMG! Whaddya think? I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere. Mods feel free to delete.

2. andygabriel macrumors regular

I wonder what they gonna update now! Mayb New Macbook Air!!

3. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

New MBA's would be cool, and about time, but I have a feeling this may only be maintenance. :(

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. gingafeet macrumors newbie

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

It has been down many times at about same time as now, never updated anything

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That will get the C2D and Nvidia 320m. In case anyone hasn't noticed, the same chipset and base internals are all similar on the 13" MBP, MB, MBA, Mac mini, and 21.5" (previously 20") iMac. Apple has used one concept and chipset across all of these Macs since Late 2008 13" Mac notebooks and early 2009 small factor Mac desktop updates. I fully expect the 21.5" iMac to NOT get an upgrade to Core i5, and the past is the future for Apple. It's all about saving money on economies of scale and on development and software integration costs. It's a lot easier to use one board/basic internal system across five Macs, and it's a lot cheaper to write one driver set, and it's a lot easier to integrate all of the changes into OS X, OpenCL, and h.264.

I doubt this downtime is anything though other than the maintenance already suggested. I have never seen Apple update early Sunday morning. It's not the tech way nor the Apple way.

8. gingafeet macrumors newbie

From what I understood about the 13" upgrade, the architecture and heat issues didn't allow for switch to ix CPUs. assuming that problem does not exist in the iMacs, I dont see why they wouldnt upgrade them to i5. Plus I dont know true or not, but Ive read that intel is planning to discontinue C2D. Why would apple continue continue investing on a discontinuing part if they have the ability to move past it?

agree, just dreaming :D

9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

10. maokh macrumors 6502

11. fbartram macrumors member

iPad page updated in Australia, preorder on May 10. Pretty interesting to me.

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You can keep dreaming about the 21.5" iMacs too. Look at all of the 13" Mac notebooks, the Mac mini, and the 21.5" iMac. Sure the iMac and even 13" MBP and they could definitely accept a Core i5 and a dedicated graphics card. However, whatever solution Apple goes with must work across all five devices, and that includes the limited confines of the MBA. I don't think you're going to get anything different in any one of those five Macs.

The C2D and Nvidia 320m will probably be the single solution across all five of those Macs. I would put money on it, plus we can look at the past and Apple has used this exact strategy in all five of those Macs since Late 2008 in the 13" Mac notebooks and since Early 2009 in the smaller two desktops. One solution saves Apple a ton of money and time. The end user gets the shaft vs an Arrandale CPU and nice dedicated GPU, but the end user gets a hell of a lot more value out of a C2D CPU and Nvidia chipset/320m than he or she would have out of just an Arrandale Core i5 with sole use of Intel's GMA IGP as the graphics. So there is give and take here, but this strategy makes a lot of sense given the other products have a lot less cooling space than the 21.5" iMac.