The story from London

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaysonbank, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jaysonbank macrumors newbie

There is mass panic and confusion in the city, people are amassing outside every single o2 and Carphone Warehouse store. I counted over 70 people at a small o2 store and 20 outside the CPW next to it in Hampstead, this was at 8:20am.

I have reports of similar numbers in Moorgate's CPW store.

Outside the Apple Regents St store at approximately 8:45am I saw 200+ zombies standing motionless, there were a dozen police officers there, they had no way to save the helpless store employees trapped inside.

On the Strand there were approximately 100 people outside the o2 store and 15 outside an extremely small CPW kiosk store. The last store I was able to reach on the strand had only 6 people in line, their computer system is no-longer recieving credit reports and they are forced to take down details and call people back later. This store had entirely sold its 16gb stock and had about 20 8gb's as of 9am.

Store employees are quite rightly scared, every 20 seconds they hear shouts of "do you have any 16 gigs?", i looked into the eyes of one sales woman who was clearly on the verge of breakdown. Another o2 employee was heard muttering to himself in a corner "no iphones, no iphones".

Carphone Warehouse is unreachable by phone, I fear for their lives. Please, if there is anyone out there, send police, send the military, please, we urgently need stocks of black 16gb iPhones.

2. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

3. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Zombies...the UK? Anyone seen Shaun, Ed, or Liz? :p

300 joke in 3...2...1....

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Excellent first post. :D

Cooped up down here in SW3. I hear sirens...

5. alFR macrumors 68020

SPARTAAAAAA!!! :)

6. barryallott macrumors member

7. javadh macrumors member

8. alFR macrumors 68020

Apparently it's been busy at the O2 stores in Manchester:

[​IMG]

9. Kerching macrumors member

A good 50 or so outside the O2 store in Notting Hill Gate..... i was second in line having got there at 05:45. Took a book to read but from 6 it started to get busy.

However there was a CPW store 30m further down and only a handful of people were queueing.

When i went to get a coffee i came back and let people further back in the queue know this, not a person moved.

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Just remember when facing zombified Apple Fans:
    Remove the Head or Destroy the Brain!

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What's the call on general Apple store stock? Sounds like small O2 stores have 4-10 16GB max, bigger stores maybe 30 16GB if they're lucky...

Cheers for the update by the way OP :)

12. dankell macrumors newbie

Turned up in Camden @ 7:20 expecting to get a reasonable place in the queue. ~50 people already there so headed into town.

~20-30 people at the Tottenham Court Road CPW and similar numbers at the O2 and CPW at Centerpoint.

Then at 7:45 I got first place at the tiny CPW on Oxford Street :D

16Gig 3G FTW

13. 645ci macrumors member

Rocked up to o2 sheffield, at 10 30 am, was their 2nd customer, they have 30 8b left!

Told them my business account, walked away without handing over a single penny :D

14. jaysonbank thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

This is the latest from the Strand:

- o2 still has ~20 people standing outside with varied expressions on their face as of 11:20am. The shop doors are closed and they are only letting a few in at a time to avoid blood-letting

- The small CPW on Strand told me they had 50 units but a pack of savages came and took everything in return for their credit card details. They have nothing left but usb chargers and bluetooth headsets.

- There is a police helicopter orbiting overhead

15. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

well, the riots are understandable. Someone needs to be held accountable and kicked into a never ending hole with a yell of:

'This....is....Britain!!!!'

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't worry guys, I called for backup.

Attached Files:

17. agibb macrumors newbie

I was in that queue at Hampstead. Got there at 7.40am, left at midday, with an 8GB, waiting for a phone call or something for activation. It was all rather pleasant, really. I met some nice people.

18. pauld macrumors regular

Hackney O2 ran out of 16GB by 9:15 (i.e - after less than 7 people had been processed). Why ship in so many 8GB when the majority clearly want 16GB?

Oh, and someone almost got their **** knocked in for smoking in the queue! And the aggressor was only there because he had just queue-jumped in front of +25 people!

Welcome to Hackney.

19. jaysonbank thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

- As of 13:30, Regents Street Apple Store is swamped, there are about 20 stewards who have separated out lines so they dont obstruct other shops. The police are still there and may be considering the use of firearms.

- Strand o2 still has a dozen people outside, I believe they only have enough for the people currently there.

- Both CPW's on the Strand have no lines and no phones. They only have these crappy plastic boxes with "Nokia" stamped on the front, they don't even have touch screens!