The straight answer, spotlight indexing and app store updates??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Linuxpro, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Linuxpro macrumors regular

The repeating app update problem plauged me since the first day I pulled my macbook out of the box. The problem is freqently mentioned on the internet. I have seen solutions ranging from "take a hammer to the damn thing" to "re-installl Yosemite".

The problem stopped at about the time I recieved the 10.10.5 update. However a few days before, I disabled spotlight indexing, and deleted the index files.

Did I mask the problem, or did Apple fix a problem that dates back to the early days of Mavericks?

The ultimate question is, are updates dependant on spotlight? Unfortunately the evidence is abiguious. I am still getting updates from Apple, but it has been about a month since I have seen any app updates. I checked the current versions and it appears that I have the latest of everthing.

On my Linux boxes, I just type yum update. Is there a way to manually force updates once every other month on OS-X? I woud rather do things manually than deal with spotlight indexing.

2. Linuxpro, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I guess there is no answer. I have asked about this for months, on many forums. Evidently there is no good answer.

I guess I am not very mac compatible.

I have never used drugs, or attended the "burning man" event. Maybe if I had I would somehow understand what drives the cult following. I am thinking it has nothing to do with reliability.

3. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Sorry, but what exactly is the problem? App Store updates keep re-downloading?

4. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but the problem mysteriously went away shortly after I disabled Spotlight indexing, and updated from 10.10.4 to 10.10.5.

The repeating update problem is very old, and documented all over the internet. Nobody seems to know the root cause.

The question is, "Did Apple fix the App Store with the 10.10.5 update?" or "Did I mask the problem by doing away with Spotlight indexing?". Unfortunately the latter seems to be more likely.

Nobody can confirm if Spolight Indexing is required for updates, and nobody can confirm that the App Store was fixed.

If the reason the problem went away is the fact that I killed Spotlight Indexing, then by what means may I obtain updates when they become neccessary?

Spotlight creates more problems than it solves so I rather not deal with it. I can live with manual updates for the next three years or so if that it what it takes to avoid the pitfalls of Spotlight.

Thanx

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I noticed same problem in Mavericks. It disappeared in 10.9.4 but after I started using my current Mac Mini 2014 with 10.10.2 the problem returned. 10.10.4 fixed it momentarely but it appeared again in 10.10.5. I basically throw in the towel and disabled automatic updates. Headache removed.

I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed this bug long ago...

To get latest updates I set automatic updates back on every 2 or 3 times a month. Alternative way is softwareupdate command in Terminal, type man softwareupdate in Terminal for further instructions.

6. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

Now that was what I was looking for. On my Linux boxes I just type "yum update".

The only remaining question, is does the softwareupdate command require Spotlight indexes, or can it do its own check? Yesterday I looked on the web site and discovered I was one rev down on "Microsoft OneDrive". I simply went to the app store under purchases and re-installed it. I now have the latest rev.

Thanx

7. Linuxpro, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

I found some interesting info regarding spotlight and the app store: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110818105818950

I have also learned that the app store may "chug" if you are a international traveler like me. My Apple account was created in the USA. I am using a USA credit card with my account.The address on my account is USA. However my macbook was shipped to my residence in Singapore and pruchased using a Singapore credit card. It has been with me to China, and Korea, but never once has it ever seen a USA IP address.