the Streaming set top box market gets a new player

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Jan 6, 2015.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I understand the desire to converge set-top content boxes and game consoles, but I don't believe it has been done yet well enough at a set-top content box price-point, and I don't think it will be done this year.

Sure, a full game console can easily do what a set-top box can do, but it comes with high cost and high power-consumption. On the flip side, some set-top boxes can play simpler games, but I have yet to see one where that functionality is as smooth as most consumers would expect.

Frankly, for the kind of consumer that isn't interested in the latest-gen games, I think a used XBox 360 or PS3 (~$100 for the console, and ~$5 per game) would work much better than any of these AndroidTV based games.

Thus, for at least 2015, I think most consumers would be wise to keep the two categories separate rather than opting for an all-in-one device. If you want gaming, get a game console. If you want content, get a set-top box. If you want both, get both (or just get a game console). In a year or two, maybe we'll have something better.