The strongest adversaries to the iPhone and the fallen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, May 12, 2009.

1. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

Hi all. With the SURE upcoming launch of the new iPhone 2009, evrybody is gonna get excited. To date, there are some phones or ' iPhone-Killers ' as they call it, either falling behind or turning up some momentum. Here's my $0.02 worth. Feel free to contribute some too! :D

Strongest- Palm Pre (Web OS)
    LG Arena (S-Class)
    HTC Touch Diamond (TouchFlo 3D)

The fallen- Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    Nokia N96
    Samsung Omnia
    HTC Touch HD
    HTC Dream ( G1 )

Feel free to add more contributions to the list!! Thanks

2. matttye macrumors 601

Nokia N97.

Things it has over the iPhone:

- Uses Symbian (operating system is much more mature)
    - 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens and dual LED flash.
    - 32GB on-board memory with a Micro SD card slot for additional storage if you need it (up to 16GB extra until some company - probably sandisk - comes out with a 32GB card)
    - Slide out physical keyboard.
    - Same speaker sound quality as the 5800 xpressmusic phone.
    - Front facing video camera.
    - Support for widgets on the home screen and a much wider array of applications available.
    - Support for background tasks.
    - It's a Nokia, so you know it will work well as a phone
    - Full bluetooth support. The Nokia doesn't care where you get your files from: if a friend bluetooth's a song to you, you can save it in your music folder and add it to a playlist. Same with photos, etc.
    - More accessories available.

Etc etc etc..

The only thing it doesn't have going for it is the iPhones' excellent software!

..oh, and it's going to cost about £500 at launch :D

3. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

The first thing you say is that this phone is better because of the Symbian OS and the last thing you say is that it doesn't have the iPhone's excellent software...:confused:

Aside from that, my iPhone works great as a phone and I don't want a slide out keyboard. Otherwise, it sounds like it has some decent features. That said, I've heard a lot about iPhone competitors but we haven't seen anything come close yet.

4. matttye macrumors 601

I mean that the OS is more mature, stable and has more features. There are also a heap more apps available for symbian, and you don't have to pay to join a development programme to develop apps for it. The iPhone has very little features compared to other phones, it's just the way those features are implemented that makes it great.

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Believe it or not the iPhone is not the best phone in the world as pointed out by all the things nokia phones have over it. That been said for me the iPhone is top dog because all the other companies are desperatly trying to copy it so why go for a lesser clone when you can have the original? If these companies stopped trying to copy it and really worked on their existing line up then we would really see some hot competition.

However in context to the original question the palm pre is the best competitor and the blackberry storm the worst.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Exactly right. The true iPhone killer'll be the one which is as pain free as the iPhone.
    It's the only phone UI which hasn't driven me crazy at one time or another.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I remember that argument being quoted when the "IBM Clones" came on the PC scene and dared to copy IBM machines! Now look what's happened - the "clones" have taken over!

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Do you have any data/references to back this up?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. IBM machines are not Apple products.
    2. Lots of companies tried to sell iPod knock offs but had no success. That's a better example.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Think they mean "items" (which can contain all kinds of things...."

Apple - 500 apps- now >40,000
    Google Android Market - ~50.
    Ovi Store for Nokia?

20,000 items. Which is apps, but also “lots of entertainment and media files.” i.e. video and audio content

Apple has >1,000,000 songs on iTunes store. Doesn't include them in the app store number though.

Kinda funny that even if you don't have to pay to join a development programme to develop apps for it, developers in the know are still choosing Apple!

Symbian may be mature - but there multi-touch version isn't. The N95 had many similar features mentioned.

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

And therein lies the genius.
    Bit, by bit, more features are being added to the iPhone OS, which will make it a killer combo of both features and usability, which is king, imo - No point in having killer features, if you won't use most of them, because the interface is clunky.
    Symbian's U.I has become a little outdated and stale, regardless of the better feature specs. It needs to be re-written specifically for touch, not a tweaking, as it's currently received.
    Android looks to be the OS that Apple should really be wary of, as it migrates to a lot more devices. WebOS will be awesome too, but I think it'll be a niche OS. We'll see what the next version of WinMo will bring.

12. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

i wouldnt call the Pre the strongest at all, my roomate is really hyped up about it but i dont see it doing much. The shape is horrible and it has that ridiculous Centro keyboard.

no LG touchscreen has even been worth yawning over

HTC Touch Diamond? no windows phone should be up there.

THE nicest phone on this list has to go to the G1, it has the nicest touchscreen next to the iphone and Android is well put together.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Pardon? :confused: Who said they are? :)

14. matttye macrumors 601

Nope, just the logic that symbian has been developed since 1994 and available for the public since 1998. The app store has been available since 2008.

15. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone is a joy to use, but it's kind of frustrating when you realise how many things it's lacking.

The w850i I'm using at the moment has been out since '06 and has tons of features the iPhone is missing.

Agreed. In a couple of years when Apple have caught up, I'm sure the iPhone will be the best bar none.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Features are not Apple's priority. "Implement solutions, not features." - John Geleynse, Director of Technology Evangelism, Apple.

17. fid macrumors newbie

For me and the spouse, the only phone I'd seriously look at is the Samsung I7500. We are about to end our contract and I've been looking forward to getting 2 iPhones.

I've got several coworkers with iPhones and a couple with G1's. I've never cared that much for HTC's 'boxes' - bad battery life, cheaply assembled, etc. but have been impressed with where android is heading...

I know most of you have seen the specs before but the MicroSD and the screen are what appeal to me. Also, Samsung has a decent history with hardware.

The I7500 boasts the following ... quad-band GSM, tri-band 7.2Mbps HSDPA (900/1700/2100MHz) handset boasts a 3.2-inch, 320 x 480 pixel AMOLED touchscreen, WiFi, GPS, a 5 megapixel camera, 8GB of storage with MicroSD expansion for up to 32GB more, and a standard 3.5mm jack.

18. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

A slide out physical keyboard is not an advantage to me - I do not want one at all.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

apple stated the focus behind the iPhone was that all phones have 1 major lack of function. buttons. no matter what app you use - you use the same buttons. i doubt they are going to add them. EVER. if you want buttons don't get an iPhone

20. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I know, and that is why I love the iPhone. One of the posters listed a slide out physical keyboard as an advantage and I was saying that I did not believe it was.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As for buttons, the iPhone totally depends on them. If the Home button fails, you're out of business, unlike other touch phones which have an on-screen way of reaching apps.

Apple also knows that we need buttons to reach oft-used functionality . Volume control (which was later added to the Touch), ringer, even a button on the earbuds to let us control things.

So buttons are not bad. In fact, the iPhone could use a few more of them. But I agree that a built-in keyboard is unlikely simply because it's much cheaper to use the onscreen version. However, I could see them selling a keyboard housed in a case for the phone.

22. chox99 macrumors regular

I agree, iPhone killer must have easier, more intuitive OS than iPhone. Extra features come next. Symbian ,Wmo phones can do gazillion things but it's complicated to use for general public.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

orr you could install a cydia app that replaces the button. as lame as that may be.

and no i could never see THEM selling that - maybe another company with a bluetooth keyboard. perhaps the dinovo mini.

and to cjm3113 yeah i know you weren't saying that! ha i was agreeing with you