The struggle is real

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivanwi11iams, Oct 30, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

My birthday is around the corner. I already have an iMac 27", bought in June.
    But, I'd like a laptop of sorts for when I'm working from the sofa or dinning table. However, Apple are seriously pricey with the new products...

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 8.22.39 PM.png

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

128GB is REALLY skinny. I use 256 with NAS storage but I don't know if I could get by with 128.
    What about an iPad?

Of the two options, I would save more money or get the MacBook. Just keep in mind you may need to cough up extra for dongles etc.

4. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Funny enough, I have an iPad Air II. However, I've thought about trading in my Air II, and getting an iPad Pro, WITH the SmartKeyboard. Still thinking...

I don't need more than 128GB; everything is on my iMac or my Z600 HP Workstation.

5. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I just left Best Buy. I was there to test the MacBook, MackBook Air, iPad Pro 12.9 with smart keyboard and iPad Pro 9.7 with smart keyboard.

To put it simply, the iPad Pro 9.7 with Smart Keyboard, wins.

Why?

What I was originally looking for was something to use while sitting on the sofa. Bear in mind, I already have an iPad Air II, with no physical keyboard. Sometimes I'm posting constantly on forums, doing work stuff and such from the sofa and wanted physical keys for long typing. Hence my research.

Now to decide if I want to upgrade to an iPad Pro 9.7 with smart keyboard or carry on as is...

6. fyun89 macrumors 6502

What kind of work do you do? I used to have iMac and Macbook and I realized that having two Mac was very waste of money. So I sold the iMac and bought myself a dock and a monitor.

I hated having two hard drives to store my things as well. So my recommendation is to sell your iMac and get a Macbook.

7. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I work in I.T and love my iMac 27" ;)
    I'm more of a desktop user, however, sometimes I'd like to type lots from the sofa (yep, lazy).

For now I might continue to use my iMac as needed and the virtual keyboard on the iPad...

8. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

I've never had two Macs but working in IT made me hate having to keep track of two different computers. As you, I don't mind having a powerful MacBook and docking it when I get home.

I think you should just get the iPP with smart keyboard. Seems like that fits you well. I have an iPad Air 2 as well but don't do much work on it, just fun haha.

9. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Funny you say that; I'm rather close to buying those items, and trading in my iPad Air II.
    However, word is, Spring will yield a newer iPad from Apple. Yes, there is always something new. But...