The stupidest interface annoyance (Command-F in Quicklook)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Casiotone, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Casiotone, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

I'm not one of those who overly criticize the Finder. But there's one little thing that annoys me to no end :

Let's say you're looking at a long list of unnamed videos in the Finder. You hit spacebar to get Quicklook.

You want to see this video full screen so what do you do? Hit command-F of course, the now universal shortcut in Lion for the full-screen mode.

But not so in the Finder...Hitting command+F in the Finder activates the "Find" command and the Quicklook window changes to a huge "Smartfolder" icon, leaving you with a blank search window behind!

Ok so you've made a mistake, let's go back...You get back to the same folder alright, but your selection is lost! You have to scroll down to where you were and hope to remember what was the file name of the video you were looking at (If I could identify the file by name I wouldn't have used Quicklook!)

Anyway it's a pretty stupid and un-Apple-like interface quirk that I would've hoped would be fixed in Lion especially since command-F is now standardized as the full-screen shortcut.

2. mretondo macrumors newbie

You really think Apple is going to change a one of the core commands that has been on the Mac since the Mac 128 and System 1? Really? I've been Cmd-F ing for 27 years and I can tell you if Apple changed it there'll be hell to pay.

3. seetheforest macrumors member

How about Cmd+F is for Fullscreen when in Quicklook and it is for "Find" when in Finder?

4. Casiotone, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011

Casiotone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

Command-F didn't appear as a Finder shortcut until System 7...Before that, searching files was done through a Desk Accessory in the Apple menu named "Find File" which didn't have a shortcut.

And Apple is certainly not known for keeping things a certain way just for the sake of it.

Exactly. I don't see the importance of being able to hit command-F to search while being in Quicklook.

At worse, they could disable command-F while in Quicklook. You'd have to go click the "full screen" icon in the upper right corner, but at least you wouldn't lose your current selection by mistake, which is the real problem here.

5. imPhelikz macrumors newbie

imPhelikz