The switching device: With 24hz HDR/DV, we need automatic refresh rate switching even more

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by xsmett, Sep 23, 2017.

1. xsmett macrumors regular

First, thanks Apple for making 4k 24hz and HDR/DV available. Its really welcome. But, unfortunately it makes me switching between settings even more.

My switching evening/night with the new Apple TV 4k:

Watched,
    1. Lord of the Rings in 4k 24HZ Dolby Vision. It looked so bad. Had to switch to 4K SDR 24HZ. Looking a lot better now.
    2. When I started Mad Max I remembered that it is in Dolby Vision. Back to the settings, switched to 4k Dolby Vision 24HZ. Looks really amazing in my opinion.
    3. Before going to sleep sleeping I wanted to check the soccer night summary on the dazn app (European sports app). Damn, I forgot that it runs in 50hz. Back to the settings, putting on 4k 50hz SDR.
    4. When turning on the sleep timer I switched to 4k 60hz HDR, because that the way apple wants me to the watch the stunning interface and screensaver. :cool:

That way, this device isn't a perfect user experience at all. Pls apple, add an automatic framerate switching feature.

2. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Absolutely spot on. Please make certain you tell Apple at Apple.com/feedback as well. I have and we should overwhelm them with it.

It is such a stupid and unnecessary decision.

3. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Thanks for the link. Just left feedback too. Hopefully they have plans to address this

4. xsmett thread starter macrumors regular

I told Apple a lot of times. I guess im already on their ignore list. :D
    But everyone should tell them, thats right.

5. BuddyRich macrumors member

BuddyRich

That was also my night, also throw in some MLB and NHL at 60hz as well.

While I am stoked I can manually change the rates and aren't locked to 60Hz like the Apple TV 3 I used to use they really should switch rates automatically (and if necessary type of HDR).

ie. if its a 4K SDR 24fps movie -> Switch to 4K SDR 24hz
    if its a 4K DV 24fps movie -> Switch to 4K DV 24Hz
    if its a 4K HDR 30fps TV show -> Switch to 4K HDR 30Hz
    if its 1080p SDR at 60Hz -> Switch to 1080p SDR 60Hz

As a default run the GUI and apps in 4K 60HZ in either HDR, DV or SDR based on support and expose rate switch to apps so apps like Plex and Netflix can rateswitch as well.

6. guitarguy316 macrumors regular

Start a petition on change.org

I did that with lg oled hdr game mode and we finally got it added in firmware earlier this year.

7. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

Content is mastered by the creators for a colorspace and dynamic range. Apple proclaims itself to be a purist relative to video and audio quality. Doing some on the fly dynamic range conversion is neither consistent with their philosophy nor does it work. Native playback please without having to navigate settings.