The Tale of 2 G5s - Rebuilding?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NOTNlCE, Mar 12, 2015.

1. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hey folks.

Today I was cleaning through my old parts bin, and the vast majority of it is G5 parts. I've actually got two of these things, both what I assume to be dead. The cases actually support my nightstand.

I'm wondering if it's possible to rebuild them.

These are what I believe to be the two models.
    The first one is the original Dual Processor G5 - everymac
    and the other is the fx Dual Processor - everymac

My original diagnosis years and years ago when I first acquired them was a dead PSU, but I read somewhere that the Power Supply gives a 5V trickle across two of the pins, and I plugged one in today, and got the trickle...

From what I remember, neither machine powers up. I press the power button, and nothing. The power supplies both click when I plug them in, however, and both give the trickle. I'm wondering if I can take pieces of each computer and make a "FrankenG5" with working parts from each of the machines.

Is there a surefire way to test the parts? I have RAM coming out of my ears for these machines, so that's no issue. I guess the real question is to make sure the processors work, the logic boards aren't damaged, and that the power supplies are OK. Any way to be SURE of these things? I don't suppose the 970fx processors will work on the 970 board, worst case scenario?

Thanks for all your help!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In all the talk about software and TiBooks this seems to have slipped in without notice, so I am going to respond as best I can, which isn't much. Maybe those more knowledgeable can help.

AFAIK what you are describing indicates either a logicboard problem or a processor problem. I would assume logicboard though.

I had an issue with that two years ago, however, I got chime and fans spinning up full power. So, in my case I assume it was the processor. I didn't know at the time so I swapped out the entire thing (board, CPU and heatsink) for $60 off eBay.

But since all you get is a click I'd wager it's the logicboard. As to the rest, as far as swapping CPUs, I don't know.

3. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I do recall that one machine did that at one point in time. I got it for real cheap, because it would power on, and spin the fans up, but nothing more.

4. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

This sounds like logic board type stuff.

The normal checklist though:
    1 - Make sure you have new PRAM batteries in there. They are standard batteries like in some watches and gadgets. CR2032, I think.
    2 - Make sure there is RAM, and it's installed in matching pairs. If they aren't, the machine may not boot.
    3 - Make sure fans/CPU/etc are fully plugged.
    4 - Press the CUDA switch on the motherboard. Here is the info:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1939

BTW, is the white light by the power button coming on for either of those machines? If not, then it probably is a bad logic board.

Worst case scenario: sell those cases to someone who would like to mod them for a project. :)

----------

Here's an addendum - Happy Macs blog was dealing with some of this issue, and it may be worth reading their experience:

https://happymacs.wordpress.com/201...recovering-from-no-startup-chime-powermac-g5/

5. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I think the battery you mention is used in the Late 2005 models only. The dual processor (not dual core) machines use the 1/2 AA 3.6v battery.

6. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Thanks for the input. The two machines have a "job" at the moment, just trying to thin out my parts bin. I've got a good battery (a single, good battery from my G4 that I KNOW works) that I'll swap between the logic boards. I'm out of town until this weekend, but hopefully I can take a day and just mess around with them. I figured it was probably a logic board issue. If it is, whatever. They're serving enough of a purpose as my nightstand! :D

[​IMG]

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You can put lights in there and make them glow. Or put speakers in them and make them a jukebox nightstand!

8. RedCroissant Suspended

NOTNICE:

If you decide to part out the machines for any reason, I would love to have one of the superdrives. My Quad needs one that works!

9. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Believe it or not, I just gave both of them away in the Marketplace. If I come across another one, I'll let you know!

10. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Did you figure out what was wrong with it before you offered it in the Marketplace?

11. RedCroissant Suspended

:-| NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Well thank you for that at any rate. And please do!

12. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I have not figured out what's wrong. I've got another PPC Optical Drive from my G4 that I can swap over if I need an Optical Drive.

13. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Red, I'll test them when they arrive. If they both work, I'll send one your way.

14. RedCroissant Suspended

You are an amazing person! Thank you very much. You're going to make it that much easier for me to make my Quad my primary machine again!

15. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

It's no problem. I'll PM you when I receive them.