The tale of two iPhones.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacintoshJosh3, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MacintoshJosh3 macrumors regular

The tale of two iPhones: 6 & 6+

My name is MacintoshJosh and I have carried and owned both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+.

I personally do not care which phone is more popular or "rare".

I do not care which phone received higher benchmark scores.

I do not care about "bend gate" or biased reviews.

My reviews are biased..

iPhone 6 "review"

I suppose you could call me the type that everyone hates, despite knowing I wanted to try the iPhone 6+, when the Apple employee got to me on launch day and and stated they had no iPhone 6+ models in stock I just simply chose an iPhone 6 and purchased it instead.

I took home my 64gb gold iPhone 6 in a midnight blue leather case and could instantly tell that Apple had done something special with this phone.

It didn't feel much larger than my iPhone 5S. Clearly the phone was wider, taller and the screen had grown but the longer I used the phone the more it felt like the grab and go 5S.

I could pocket the phone easily, it seemed to work effortlessly, I could reach all 4 corners of the screen. It just simply worked, yet I was absorbing more information, this larger screen was showing me more content at once and when I paid close attention, I could tell this was a completely different experience than anything Apple had created before.

This is Apple's Moto X. Pocketable without sacrificing any usability, yes you can use "numbers" on this phone.

As a small note I did experience an increase of about 15-20% in battery usage over my iPhone 5S. The phone seems to be more optimized and regularly got me through a 16 hour work day with 5 hours of usage before I even reached 30% battery remaining.

iPhone 6+ "review"

Finally! I come home with the phone I always wanted! After days and days of making attempts I finally received my iPhone 6+ in space grey.

As I activated my iTunes account, switched on iCloud and began downloading my most used apps I quickly realized, this is NOT my Galaxy Note 3.

Everything on the 6+ seems to jump off the screen, yet Apple really hasn't done anything special for me to absorb this increases real estate.

The fluidity of iOS 8 on the iPhone 6+ is unmatched by any mobile device I have ever owned. Even though, as some people describe, for the most part this is just a HUGE iPhone, there is something to be said for incredible things look and feel on this larger screen.

It really does remind me of using a small iPad but one that I can still send one handed messages on and there inlays the bias nature of my review.

I am obsessed with mobile computing, I love all aspects of it from phones to tablets and because of that reason I have now owned 50 sell phones in the past 10 years as well as tablets from Palm/ Blackberry, Apple, Google and Samsung. Because of this I have used large phones many times in the past, from the HTC Titan years ago to the Galaxy Note 3 last year. What Apple is giving me that these others phones could not is usability. This is an iPhone which is something that I am greatly familiar with and despite my experience with other mobile operating systems apple's iOS simply works and absolutely love the extra content that the 6+ lets me absorb.

I'm 6' tall, I cannot Palm a basketball, I wear a medium size golf glove and I can still send a one handed text message with the iPhone 6+ and for that reason coupled with the beautiful fluid nature of iOS 8 on a 5.5" screen the iPhone 6+ is the phone for me.

Small note - The iPhone 6+ has the best battery life of any phone I have ever used. I sit here currently with 16 hours of stand by, 6 hours and 21 minutes of usage and 62% battery life. Something my note 3 never achieved, most likely due to the insane amount of 3rd party applications required just to dumb down samsungs clunky and poor written software.

In closing I will say that having owned every iPhone Apple has released that BOTH of these phones are the greatest feats achieved by Apple since they shook the world on that day so many years ago back in 2007.

2. Zebesbrain macrumors newbie

Besides battery life, image stabilization, and higher ppi, they're basically the same phone just different sizes. I'm so confused by people raving about one or the other. Do you want a phablet or a regular phone? That's pretty much the deciding factor.

I personally think the 6 is the perfect size for me. And I think phablets are kind of ridiculous, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

3. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

4. leesam macrumors newbie

Stopped reading after sell phones.

j/k... that was pretty good and insightful. I'm still torn. Guess I just have to pick one and see for myself.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

LOVE my Plus! Favorite iPhone since the original. #

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

That was a pretty good review of the two devices. Like some others have said, I too think the iPhone 6 Plus is ridiculous. However, I still bought one and love it. My wife keeps making fun of my massive iPhone. It's funny, my boss got a 5S just a few months ago even though I told her the iPhone 6 was coming. She had a 4S before that. Today she wanted me to take a picture of her with a colleague who had won an award, so she handed me her 5S (she had both this phone and the previous one in bulky pink and white protective cases). I said "Why are you using your 4S again?" She looked confused and then I realized it was actually the 5S. It seemed so tiny! I have no idea how I got by on such a small device before now. I think I could manage on a 4.7" screen, but going back to the 4" is out of the question now. I wish my 5.5" was 5-5.2".

7. DigitalPharmcst macrumors member

DigitalPharmcst

That was a pretty good personal review. Personally, I have wanted an iPhone with a larger screen since I had my 3G. I was going to get the iP 6 originally, but I decided that I wanted the phone for the screen. My Fiance has the iP6 and I got the 6+; she is content with her 6 and I'm content with my 6+. Honestly in real world use, both phones are excellent. I don't see one being better than the other besides the 6+ having that larger screen. Both run iOS 8, and they both operate the same.

Both phones can exist without one person feeling that one is better than the other; I don't recall anyone saying that the iPhone 5s was better than the iPhone 5. They were the same size, and one had better specs, but I never ever heard any of the bashing.

Let's just enjoy our phones !

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

How did you transition from the iPhone 5 > iPhone 5c > iPhone 5s when the 5c and 5s where released at the same time?

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Um... He owns both the 6 and 6 plus doesn't he?

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

No he doesn't. He said he owned the 6 and 6+ meaning that he probably returned one. I do understand your point though. I was just curious how he made that transition. It could be that he returned one for the other like he probably did this time.

11. pish6969 macrumors regular

Another kindergarten thread..the voice of reason is realizing that half of the threads started are the same thing..

1. I love my 6 + for the big screen..the OIS is GREAT and my battery lasts a week! (even though I didn't use it)
    2. I love my 6 for the portability and it runs much quicker

Here is my advice..if you love your phone and just want to spout off to annonymous forum members..step back from the computer, take a breath and think how ridiculous you sound.

...the voice of reason

12. leesam macrumors newbie

O mighty voice of reason,

How on earth didst thou ever graduate from kindygarden?

13. MacintoshJosh3 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually preferred to carry the 5C for most of the year in 2013. Something about felt so smooth and enjoyable to hold (no case of course). With the exception of Touch ID and the improved camera i never missed the 5S when carrying the 5C.

----------

Never once mentioned OIS, I personallt can discern no difference in picture quality between the two phones despite the obvious technical advantage of the 6+.

I also cannot discern a difference in performance between the two phones which was not mentioned once in my post either.

Maybe next time either read the OP or don't reply?

Thanks.

----------

I also felt it important to mention that although battery life is clearly better on the 6+ that the iPhone 6 has much better battery life with my usage over the 5S

14. pish6969 macrumors regular

The tale of two iPhones.

[/COLOR]

Never once mentioned OIS, I personallt can discern no difference in picture quality between the two phones despite the obvious technical advantage of the 6+.

I also cannot discern a difference in performance between the two phones which was not mentioned once in my post either.

Maybe next time either read the OP or don't reply?

Thanks.

----------

I also felt it important to mention that although battery life is clearly better on the 6+ that the iPhone 6 has much better battery life with my usage over the 5S[/QUOTE]

I read enough that the voice of reason had to reply.

Do you not realize most people here already have the phones so they don't need your review.

For those that don't have the phone, do you think they will be making a decision based on your skillful review? Or do you think they'll be reviewing phones from professional reviewers?

....the voice of reason

15. Bobo03 macrumors regular

Do you not realize most people here already have the phones so they don't need your review.

For those that don't have the phone, do you think they will be making a decision based on your skillful review?

....the voice of reason[/QUOTE]

The voice of *******, maybe?

16. leesam macrumors newbie

For those that don't have the phone, do you think they will be making a decision based on your skillful review? Or do you think they'll be reviewing phones from professional reviewers?

....the voice of reason[/QUOTE]

OP never intended his to be a skillful review, the disclaimer (my reviews are biased...) went right over your head. There are people, like me, who do appreciate non professional reviews that provide a different perspective and insight that is actually relatable.

Do you not realize that many of us have yet to make a decision and that opinions from users are actually needed to help validate our choices?