The Tech Guys (PC World)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akeemD, Feb 23, 2009.

1. akeemD macrumors newbie

When i receive my alum macbook in a few days, I want to upgrade the memory to 4GB. I've heard its extremly easy to do so myself and takes like 5 minutes, but I'd prefer to pay £15 for installation just incase. Does anyone know (UK-based users) if The Tech Guys at PC World will upgrade memory which I bought elsewhere & not from themselves or does it have to be their own products only? If the latter, then thats extremly annoying as on their website theres no DDR3 memory lol.

Please don't say "just call them and ask" as I'm currently abroad and can't do so atm, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experience like what I wrote above or anything like that.

Otherwise, does anyone know of any other places which are common in most major cities who install memory?

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I personally can't stand PC World. Had trouble with them many times and haven't been back in years.

You may be able to go into an Apple Store when it's less busy and ask one of the genius's, politely, to install the RAM for you as you aren't sure how to do it. I'm fairly sure they'll do it for free, even without Apple Care, as it's a very simple 2 minute job if you can't muster the courage to do it yourself.

It really is easy, you can do it yourself. Give it a go lol

3. akeemD thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. I'll do that with apple otherwise I'll try and do it myself lol.

4. halcyon-days macrumors newbie

Is that how much they charge these days for installing memory 15 pound :eek: 15 pound for literally a 2 minute job, I'm in the wrong business...
    It's a pretty straight forward install and lots of guides online that provide you with photos and step by step instructions lol... maybe I’m cheap or just getting old.

5. akeemD thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was £15 lol. Either that or £12, but still quite expensive. The main reason why I want them to do it is because if I go wrong, I'll void my warranty I think?

Anyway, I'll go to Apple and see what happens otherwise yeah I'll do it myself.

6. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Ha Ha, trust PC World to install memory in my MacBook?

I wouldn't trust them to get it out of the box.

Do it yourself. It's only 8 screws, it'll take 15 mins top.

7. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

LOL I agree ....

Doubt they would anyway. I bought a Linux netbook from them last year and it developed a hardware fault. Called them up requesting whether it needed to go back to them for a repair of direct to Acer and got the response, "Definately back to Acer because we don't support Linux", despite my best attempts to explain to them that it was hardware not software :D

There are lots of words I would use to describe what the 'Tech Guys' are at PC World; none of them are particularly complimentary!!

Try Apple, or a friend with a '00' screwdriver!

HTH

- D

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

In agreement here too. STAY AWAY from PC World and the Tech Idiots. They know nothing and you will probably do a better job of the RAM install than them.

9. akeemD thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, thanks for the help everyone. I'll stay clear of PC World :p

10. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

it's meant to be pretty easy to do, but when i've tried it the levers that are meant to spring out don't. i checked with the apple website and it said if they don't pop out you need to take it to an apple store for the RAM to be fitted.

11. naths macrumors 6502

PC world.....shouldnt even be allowed to sell apple...let alone any of them take a screwdriver to one!!!!!!

12. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I'm basking in the warm glow of collective hate for PCWorld... Ahhhh... :cool:

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Surely you mean PC World staff shouldn't be allowed near a screwdriver. ;)

14. EB66 macrumors 6502

what would they need a screwdriver for? just give them a big hammer and they should be all set

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Considering its so easy even a trained monkey could do it i would save your £15 and do it yourself. Its designed to be user upgradeable at home by Apple and you dont even need instructions how as its self explanitory and theres nothing that can go wrong. (unless you drop your laptop, spill coffee inside it etc etc which can happen normally in everyday use anyway)

16. naths macrumors 6502

What size are you getting?...www.crucial.com/uk are doing the 4gb upgrade for £52..delivered....bought mine last week for £57,still cheap though,takes about 15mins...do a search on here,plenty of videos....

17. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Trained monkeys have +1 over PCWorld tech staff.

18. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Lol, too true. They once told a friend of mine that macs had "special screws" so the memory couldn't be upgraded. So I did it, took me 5 minutes with one precision screwdriver and a coin to get the battery off (on a white macbook)

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Upgrading memory on the aluminium MacBooks is a much more complex task than on the older plastic models. It's still reasonably easy, but you will get a glimpse of some serious PCB action when you take off the cover.

Also, prepare for frustration when trying to get the tiny screws that hold the cover and the laptop together back on. I spent about half an hour attempting to line one up.