The Tehachapi Mudslides

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Oct 19, 2015.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Props to Tehachapi Life Photography for braving the trek out to get the pictures of this.

For those not in the know, there was a storm over last weekend that resulted in some horrendous mudslides, closing California State Highway 58, the shortest route that connects the California/Arizona/Nevada high desert area (Las Vegas, Kingman, Laughlin, Barstow) to the Central California agricultural region (Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, Modesto). This would mean that anyone driving to the Northern California area would need to drive up to Reno, NV, or through the northern section of the Los Angeles area then drive up; either way is long. But those mudslides were crazy.

From Gizmodo:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/inside-californias-disastrous-mudslides-1737348762

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are more on Tehachapi Life's Facebook page, but these are for starters. Anyone good with a shovel?

BL.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If this coming El Niño brings rain up to its potential, SoCal is going to get utterly buried in mud.

Oh boy...

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And this is barely the start of it. with the drought comes the issue of short saturation. In having lived in Las Vegas during monsoon season, where it would flood after 30 minutes straight of rain, imagine how the entire state of California after 4 years of such drought. Areas like Tehachapi would normally get rain and snow, but as parched as it's been, that's just a preview of what may happen in the Sierras, where even the permasnow is gone. Add that in with the Butte, Placer, and Lake County fires, where there is no brush to stop the flow, it's going to be terrible.

BL.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yep, precisely. The drought will exacerbate the problems.

5. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Thanks for this. I have a good friend in Tehachapi and she sent me a few pictures but nothing like these.

6. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

Thank you for posting this. I grew up, and now again live, about 30 minutes from where this occurred.

7. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I think it is going to be a bad winter for CA.