The text is really bugging me..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RastaLulz, May 14, 2011.

1. RastaLulz macrumors newbie

RastaLulz

Hello,

I recently made the move from Windows 7 to Mac OS X, and for the most part I love it. However, I find the text to be rather disturbing, and to a degree blurry - especially on the internet. Even the text on iOS is very clean (like Windows), but on here I find that it is very unappealing. This is issue is especially very near and dear to me because I run multiple web sites, and I am constantly looking at them, and the text on here is literally driving me insane.

Am I the only one who has this issue? Is there a way to make the text more clean?

Thank you for your time,
    RastaLulz

2. QuarterSwede, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This article will help you understand the differences between OS X and iOS's Core Text (yes, they're the same engine) and Windows DirectWrite text renderers.

Here is a good comparison between the two:
    OS X
    Windows

Core Text looks a lot better at lower pt sizes than DirectWrite which seems to be too thin to keep up while DirectWrite looks better at larger font sizes as Core Text gets too fat. The funny thing is that the Ubuntu sample is the best.

Samples taken from clauses' post on typophile.com (mid page).

Basically, you just have to get used to it.

3. RastaLulz, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

RastaLulz thread starter macrumors newbie

RastaLulz

I find it hard to believe that that they are the same, as the difference is quite evident.

iOS:
    http://cl.ly/422j1f1G0s3r3c1o0I1Q

Mac OS X:
    http://cl.ly/3D0W0K3h3f240h1t3R19

Anyways, thanks for the input.

EDIT:
    I have changed the font smoothing from 4 pixels to 12 in "System Preferences -> Appearance" and it really it does make a difference.