The thing I hate about the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Jul 28, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I can't use it in front of other people. It's annoying when everybody wants to play with it. I'm definetly going to buy a case now, because I am worried someone will scratch or break it.

You can have an iPhone or a macbook pro and people leave it alone, but not with an iPad. :mad:

2. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Hahahahahahaha. xD
    I know that feeling all too well.
    Especially cause a lot of my guests have little kids, who come in and want to play with my phone or iPad. I remember the 2nd day I got it. Guests were coming in with kids, I ran to the nearest store and got me a screen protector and applied it immediately. And thank God I did, the screen protector had 6 scratches on it by the time they were done.

I suggest get a case, like the smart case or something similar, and get the InvisibleShield HD. They work great. :)

The iPad is a great device after all. People prefer the portability in comparison to a phone or laptop. xD

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Is an iPad with a screen protector just as smooth on the fingers? I've used some touch devices wi protectors and they weren't that good. Is the invisible shield any good?

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That's because for a lot of people the iPad, and tablets in general, are new. The iPhone has been around for some time now, and I can garantuee that in 2007, 2008, 2009 and even in 2010 (with the iPhone 4) people wanted to touch and see it - but by now, most people have had some experience with the iPhone.

The Macbook Pro is quite a different situation: we're talking here about a personal computer and people see it as a more personal device. It's more a "none of your business"-object.

5. Simbazz macrumors regular

The thing I hate most is when I'm minding my own business just searching the web or whatever in bed and it decides it wants to gun for my nose. Done it at least twice!

6. aleni macrumors 68020

Wow. Thought this was over. Maybe when the first iPad released. But now, ipad is so common that i can see a lot of peopleusing iPad in public. It really takes over notebook on the go.

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Lol, me too, it gives quite a bang too :p

I use my iPad at school, I started working there a couple of months ago after completing my final uni prac there. I used my iPad for pretty much everything... Then my supervising teacher got one... Then two more teachers... And now they are slowly spreading through the school :p We even have a class set coming :) It's not just kids who love them, their simplicity is great in the school environment.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

iPads are common where I live now and so no one bothers me. I got a launch day 1st generation iPad and it drew a lot of attention for awhile -- and sneers actually. People thought I was a fool for buying "a giant iPod Touch".

9. raggdoll macrumors regular

Thats hilarious, I have this mental picture of friends popping in, and the host saying "excuse, just have to run out and get a screen protector" :roll eyes:

Could be part of a SLN sketch on anal iPad owners :D

10. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have a friend that visits with her 9 year old grandson. My friend always asks for me to let him play with my iPad. She has a Kindle Fire, but won't let him play with it. :confused:

She says it has only 8 gb of storage and doesn't have room for games. :rolleyes:

11. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Every time I go to the dog park with the iPad everyone asks if it's a kindle I'm like wtf?

12. 617aircav Suspended

Never had that experience.

13. JAT macrumors 603

Simple.

Say: No.

14. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Then you're a bad person!

Happens with my personal computer! If someone wants to use a MacBook, go to an apple store and knock yourself out! Once people see that Apple logo then immediately want to play with it. I always get asked if I have the new iPhone 5 when I'm using my galaxy note and if I have an iPad when using my android tab. Of course once I correct them they don't want to use it, so maybe try sticking an HP logo over your apple and saying its a TouchPad or something... seems to work here!

15. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

luckily by now all of my friends have their own iPads but i admit, i was a late adopter so i was extremely guilty of the whole "ooohh let me try it!" thing

16. audix macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
    You can't break a iPad.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This….This is how I told my roommate's 10 year old twin daughters "No" and told them to use his dad's boring Samsung Tab 7 tablet but they didn't like it :eek:
    They hate me so much so I give in and let them play with my iPad :mad:

18. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

It really depends on the screen protector. The InvisibleShield HD felt a bit odd the first few hours (After the initial 24hrs I waited for the whole thing to settle in, was worth it IMO), but now it feels smooth as it did without the protector. One bad thing about it is that finger prints are still visible. =/
    But other than that, no complaints, I even threw my keys at it to test the reality of the whole protection thing they claim. xD
    And it looks great, no noticeable distortion of the display!

Haha. =P
    Well! In my defense, the screen protector ended up with 6 scratches within 6hrs of the brutal usage, so it was totally worth it! xP

---

As Badrottie said, some people get too glitchy when you say "no". It's much better to go with a screen protector than get snared at.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

No, it's really not. I wish it was. I use mine on the train a lot, and I get asked about mine pretty often. People don't ever ask to hold it or try it, but I wouldn't let them even if they did. But they're usually curious about the new display. An older guy sitting next to me the other day was asking if you can blow up the text really big when you're reading. I showed him how to do it in iBooks and he loved it.

I let my older son use it if he sits at the table with it and keeps it away from my younger son. I got my wife an iPod Touch so she doesn't bug me to use the iPad anymore. (good strategy on my part, I think) But yes, I am the same way. If I'm at a big family gathering or if there are a lot of children around, the iPad stays in my bag.

20. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Yes, the iPad is "truly a magical device", and will always draw onlookers and curious snoops. The phone is way too personal, and most people have been socially trained by now to "catch themselves looking and look away" to anyone using a laptop. But the iPad? Not yet.

I say, let them look. But touch? I better know you pretty well, and that you're good for $500 if you drop it.

21. JAT macrumors 603

:) So be it.
    It's just being an adult.

Suggestion: make a specific rule, perhaps a length of time. Stick to it, no exceptions. Kids get used to this almost instantly, and consider it a treat. If you approach it properly. And if there is any sort of tantrum/argument/etc, Play Time Is Over For All. Giving in after an outburst is the worst thing you can do, in anything with kids.

22. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I guess it depends where you live. In the boonies on mars or in a metro area where everyone has a tablet and could care less.:D

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I hardly get to use my iPad now. My 2 year old loves it too much and when I get it out to surf the web he's all over me because he thinks we are playing games. :rolleyes:

Oh well it was fun whilst it lasted. :D

24. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Has anyone thought of charging for time on it? Treat it like the old computers that universities had pre Microsoft. $5 every hour or $12 for three or full day rentals for $125. I smell a new business. I can picture it now, a huge warehouse filled with iPads...

25. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

LOL! i don't really mind if adults want to take a look at it... but when I'm waiting for a table at a restaurant and little kids with sticky fingers start tapping the screen, without even asking me... yeah.. that's when I get annoyed. And the parents are right there and they don't do anything about it. They can at least ask me if it's ok, or maybe apologize for their kid's behavior. Not like they are 2 year olds who don't know much, but 7-8 year olds...? :confused: hmmm... you should at least know the basic concept of manners.