The thing I never understood about Finder/Explorer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm a PC user who just switched to OSX with a fantastic late 08 MBP. I've been playing around Leopard for two days (evenings) now and I'm slowly discovering all the great features.

There is one big question I have concerning Finder. In the Windows world, I almost never used the Exlorer as a file manager. I'm totally addicted to "two sides file managers" like Total Commander or any other variation.

The reason I love it is because you have two sides, each having different tabs and you can access directories very fast.

Let's say I have a file in a very long path /mydocs/myphotos/2008/holidays/../..//../ I want to copy a photo from there to another very long path /.././../..

In Finder/Explorer, I go to the first path, copy the file , go to the second file, paste the file. At this point I realize that there is another photo I wanted to copy so I have to go again through both paths.

In Total Commander, since you have both paths on one screen, you can easily access the 2nd photo that you forgot to copy in the 1st step.

So how do you do this in Finder ? What is the OSX way to do this ? I hoped that Finder would have done better that Microsoft but this is not really the case.

There is a Total Cammander like software for OSX "Disk Order" and it looks very nice. But before purchasing it, I would like to try the native OSX way and maybe get used to it.

Thanks for your opinions

Tex ;)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe I'm missing something...can't you just open two Finder windows to the folders you want? :confused:

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

that's what I do...

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It also helps to put frequently-used folders in your sidebar or on your dock. Then you can navigate to one of the places and use the sidebar/dock as a place to copy to.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Might want to look into Path Finder, from the dodgy voiced over video demo it does want you want and has tabs as well.

Personally I use two finder windows.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Not sure I understood what you want to do but wouldn't opening two different finder's windows do the job? That way you can keep the first path in one and the destination path in the other one.

I am so slow...

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

The Path Finder looks good. I'll try it.

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

There a few ways to copy and move files around the Finder.

1) Copy, navigate to new location, paste, navigate back, delete original
    2) Copy, navigate to new location, paste, Use Back Arrow to go back to location
    3) Open two Finder Windows for both locations and copy or drag files between them
    4) Drag file to move and use spring-loaded folders to navigate to the new location. I believe when you're done, you pop back to the starting point.
    5) Place folders on sidebar to easily jump between them
    6) Pre-plan, select all photos at once, and do it only once :)

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

mucommander might do the job as well. And it's free.

mt