The thing that annoys me MOST about OSX...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BirdInTheCity, Apr 29, 2009.

1. BirdInTheCity macrumors newbie

and I'm wondering if there is any solution for getting around it:

Basically, I work as a freelance Flash developer and I often have a TON of different projects going on at once that I must constantly bounce between. To keep organized, I have a folder structure on my system like so:
    Work : Project 1
    :Assets
    :Flash
    :Images
    :HTML
    :etc

Work : Project 2
    :Assets
    :Flash
    :Images
    :HTML
    :etc

Now, say I have two files open in Flash:
    For example:
    Work/Project2/Flash/myProject.fla
    Work/Project17/Flash/myProject.fla
    Whenever I try to import things or "Save As..." for those projects (to version the files for backup purposes), the default directory that shows up is the LAST directory that I have been accessing with that program. So, if I've been saving stuff for "Project2" and then I switch to "Project17", it'll default to the "Project2" directory even though the already created file is in the "Project17" directory.

I know this sounds like a small point, but the amount of time I waste navigating back to the right place drives me CRAZY! I thought it would be a software issue, but the PC version of the software defaults to the "correct" directory automatically--it realizes that myProject.fla is already saved in a certain folder and that is the one that it prompts me to save it into again. Is there some way to make this happen on the Mac?

Also, I know that I can put project folders on the PLACES area of the Finder Window, but this seems like an unnecessarily tedious step... any hints for resolving this for me?

Gracias!
    Brian

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I don't really have much of a solution...

My only solution would be, if you save things in a certain folder a lot, add that folder to the sidebar. So when you go to save something you just click on that icon.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is a very annoying aspect of OS X. Really the only good way to get around it is to use the PLACES section in the finder, but even this isn't going to be great if you have a lot of projects.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You could also click the drop down menu in the save dialog and navigate to the recent places section.

5. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, a lot of applications have settings to determine that. What you're describing is the default behavior, but that's good for a lot of uses. I don't know if Flash contains this setting, but many applications let you choose between the directory of the current file, the last opened directory, or a set default directory for both Open and Save dialog boxes. You might take a look and see if that setting is there.

jW

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

This is definitely app specific - I use TextMate all the time and it doesn't behave this way. I'd say submit feedback to Adobe because there are APIs in OS X that programmers can use (if they choose to).

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

This only happens for me in Adobe apps, not all apps in OS X.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

DefaultFolderX.

Kind of a shame it's shareware, but I don't think there are any other applications like this out there...? Still, if this app works wonders for you, it's a small price to pay for productivity.