The thing that gets me about the iPhone v2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BongoBanger, May 28, 2008.

1. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

If we're to believe some pretty strong hints from the likes of AT&T and 'those in the know' then we should expect to see an iPhone v2.0 release in June.

But here's the thing:

Nokia have released details of the N96 and E71 both of which go on sale later in the year. Blackberry have doen the same with the Bold. SE give us an idea of what the Xperia will have. Samsung and others also follow suit - we pretty much know what the device's hardware spec is going to be months in advance of release.

Months.

Yet, if the rumours are to be believed, the iPhone will be released in a few weeks and no-one can confirm what its configuration will be - if it will be 3G, if the camera will be better, if it has GPS, etc.

Why is this? Do Apple depend on hype by whipping the market into a frenzy where people won't care what it actually has because everyone's talking about it? Is the device going to be such a game definer that they want to keep it under wraps? Conversely, is it going to be so poor in features that they don't want people complaining about it before its out?

Thoughts?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple doesn't do leaks. A piece of advice passed to me. They ship, ship, and ship, then announce the new model, and ship that. They do previews, on their terms. They get a tremendous amount of anticipation, online activity through this. Why are we on a site called macrumors.com? ;)

3. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

That's why Jobs is a rock star and none of the other company execs come anywhere close!

Like it or not, it's how he chooses to run his company. It is frustrating...I'm trying to decide whether to sell my current phone and the decision would be much easier if I knew the specs of the new phone. However, if everyone knew, then it might increase the number who are selling and lower the value of the phones that are currently for sale on ebay right now. It's kind of like playing the stock market!

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I agree with the previous posts and would like to add that Apple is always very tight lipped about new products and even updates to old products. They do enjoy the hype but I don't think they do it to prevent complaints about what something lacks, rather I think that they do it because of their really clever business strategy. Now this tight lipped strategy has become an expectation and the only way that it could be ruined is if people believe that Apple will release the 3G iPhone or whatever and actually releases the pet rock or something equally as unimpressive.

5. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

apples stocks aren't affected by ebay's sales...

the leak of informations builds the myth, and that's what good old Steve wants!

6. cjmal macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that you haven't followed the release of Apple products. Apple never reveals information on products that haven't been released.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's more so that current iPhone sells wouldn't be cannibalized by the announcement of a new iPhone. even though they have dwindled the current stock of them down low.

8. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

He didn't say they were...

9. oksurya macrumors newbie

You obviously are a newcomer to Apple. They've been doing this for as long as I remember since Jobs came back to work for Apple. The very fact that you're so intrigued about why they don't release info on upcoming products should be enough of a clue as to why they do it. No one really cares what Nokia is coming out with. Everyone wants to know what Apple has coming up next, including you!

10. Gee macrumors 65816

Steve still remembers 'the Osborne effect'. Look it up on wikipedia...

11. BongoBanger thread starter macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Good point. I suppose hype works in this context.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think Apple does a much better job than other tech companies at avoiding vaporware. When they announce a product, it's either ready or ready to be launched in a month or two at the most.

When they screw up, as they did with Apple TV's rentals (do they even have 1,000 rentals yet?), they do just as badly as any company out there. The reason Jobs gets so much good press is because he actually delivers the products he announces. Most other tech companies promises aren't worth the hot air they took to produce.

13. neven macrumors 6502a

And keep in mind this wonderful quote from Apple's Michael Loppe:

"It's not secrecy - it's theater."

14. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

if we knew what was in the new phone and what it looked like it wouldnt be as much fun.
    Can't wait till Monday week its going to be a blast on this site.